New grad with two offers- opinions wanted!

I have two seemingly good offers with different positives and negatives and I am looking for any feedback from those who have more experience.

Offer #1:

UC 30 hour weeks, 62/ hour, stipend towards health. malpractice covered but no tail coverage. 1 wk PTO which will increase each year by a week up to 4 weeks (but can take additional non PTO). CME 1000 no days. Private practice and I will be able to start very soon (I have been out of school for several months now so this is weighted heavier in my mind than it may have been).  I would be expected to see 3 pts per hour after a designated period of time (60 days but perhaps it could be extended to 90 if needed) Otherwise my hourly will be prorated. Location is alright but about 3 hours further than where I was hoping to land.  The up side is that the schedule will allow me to visit and spend time in some great places, I would just need to drive 3 hours. Lifestyle balance is very important to me and this would allow me the time. Plus, I enjoy EM so this is a potential step in that direction. The downside is I think I would have less structure and less mentoring after the first two weeks. Although there will always be a more experienced provider on sight so if I have questions.

Offer #2:

Family practice/ Geriatrics with up to two days of long term care facility visits. The rest of the time would be in the clinic. 96,000 plus 5000 sign on bonus. 5 days a week, plus one weekend call a month (500/weekend). CME 1500, 3 days and PTO 26 days which includes sick and holidays. Health and malpractice (I am not sure about tail for this one), one year contract, 1 hour from the location I want to be near. I felt very good at the interview and was sold on this position initially. But the process for the offer/LOI took much longer than expected and my start date is unknown (still waiting on license and DEA # before they can credential me and then I need to wait for medicare/medicaid credentialing before I start). I had the impression that this could be a great learning environment, I was direct about wanting time and mentoring from the two physicians and they also seemed accommodating to my preferences (they requested two days with geriatrician but said it could be decreased to two half days if I found I did not like the long term care facilities much). I would be able to start with one patient an hour. I don't have much experience with geriatrics but I think I would enjoy it, especially if it is a good environment for learning.

Thanks for any feedback!

• Administrator

Offer #1 sucks.  UC without tail?  How stupid and/or naive do they think you are?  ONE WEEK total PTO?  Yuck. Driving three hours for that lame of an offer? Double yuck.

Offer #2 sucks less. You WILL get stuck with geriatric visits, because that's where they are going to want the new guy to be: where patient care doesn't really matter because they're all dying anyways... Worst a mistake can do is shorten someone's life by a month or two.

I wouldn't take either.

I agree with rev but do see some positives and negatives with both. 

First off the UC offer needs more vacation and tail on your malpractice.  I would ask for at least 2 weeks or 10 days vacation and tail coverage, can you try to negotiate this?.  I can see offering a bit less vacation just because it is only 30 hours a week, but you should still have at least 2 weeks.  Otherwise if you figure up 62/hr for 30 hours a week you are at about the same salary as the Family Practice but only working 30 hours.  If you are at the Family Practice five days a week you will be working 40 hours plus for essentially the same pay.  Also the call over the weekend will get old really fast.  At my stage of the game less hours would be hands down my choice, but that may not be a huge priority to you. Not taking call anymore or doing weekends has had a huge positive impact on my quality of life. 

I think either place would be a good learning experience from what it sounds, UC and family practice both make you pretty versatile and could translate to an EM position down the road.  If you don't get everything perfectly as you want it I would look at whatever you choose as a stepping stone and move on after a year or two, I think either position could be a good experience, my only concern would be with the UC position not having tail once you leave that position you will have to pay to be covered. 

Thank you for the feedback. I have been looking more into the tail coverage situation and reading the forum threads. It seems like this is commonly left out of offers. I have the impression many new grads are not even aware to ask about it (I would say most fall under the naive category). I am wondering how often is tail included with the job offer. Is it more commonly covered in UC/ EM settings and not as often for FM? As far as PTO I believe his benefit package is pretty set- he was up front from the first phone interview on what it included.

90k for a part time job ( I think of 30 hrs/week as part time, scary, huh ) isn't too bad. that buys a lot of benefits. another advantage of position 1 is that you could work a shift/week in an ED at the same time and potentially transition to that full time after a year or so. I agree with Rev that neither is ideal. If you really want EM job #2 might both be good experience(working with the elderly who make up a large portion of ER pts),but also drive you up the wall with the endless paperwork associated with primary care. many folks in primary care do a lot of charting on their own time. there is less of that in uc/em. good luck whatever you decide.

90k for a part time job ( I think of 30 hrs/week as part time, scary, huh ) isn't too bad. that buys a lot of benefits. another advantage of position 1 is that you could work a shift/week in an ED at the same time and potentially transition to that full time after a year or so. I agree with Rev that neither is ideal. If you really want EM job #2 might both be good experience(working with the elderly who make up a large portion of ER pts),but also drive you up the wall with the endless paperwork associated with primary care. many folks in primary care do a lot of charting on their own time. there is less of that in uc/em. good luck whatever you decide.

90k partime is gabage for the employee and great for the employer, new grad should do no less that 65hr part time in any state

• 2 weeks later...

Archived