PAFT National PA Autonomy Task Force - Call For Application

February 2016

Dear PA Colleagues,

PAs for Tomorrow has been an organization committed to the future of the PA profession. Since our inception, PAFT has sought to create real change in a profession that has grown far beyond original expectation. The Board of Directors remains committed to those original ideas and hope we can prompt you to join us in those efforts. Our profession has matured and is facing challenges. In order to face those challenges, PAFT is excited to make a direction changing announcement that continues to look to the future.

As we approach a new era in healthcare, the PA profession truly stands at a crossroads. While we embrace our history, we must also embrace a future that will require our profession to expand to a new and exciting chapter. The PAFT Board of Directors has been approached to develop a National PA Autonomy Task Force. The intent is to create a representative body to coordinate information among those in our profession who see autonomous practice as an evolving reality for our profession. Further, a national task force could help streamline strategies for promoting and advocating for autonomous PA practice in each state, where legislative change must eventually happen. A coordinated effort and a central communication hub for exchange of ideas, strategic planning and directional development of this movement would benefit the entire autonomy effort.

There are a great many PAs across the nation who have the vision, the enthusiasm and the optimism for seeking autonomous practice but lack the directional design of how to implement it to reality. The task force will initially be a sub-committee of the PAFT organization.  Such an effort should be led by progressive, forward thinking PAs who have a vested interested in success. There are many PAs who embody those characteristics and you need not be a member of PAFT to join the task force. 

Please consider this communication a formal invitation to submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae to the PAFT Board of Directors and the co-chair, Brian Sady, MMSc, MPAS, PA-C. The initial task force members will be charged with developing the framework, goals and strategic direction of the task force. The vision for the task force includes other pro-autonomy professionals - PAs, physicians, NPs, AAPA reps, VA and military reps, legislators and others - to further enhance the commitment of the core membership. The inclusion of other professionals seeks to expand the skill sets necessary for the ultimate success of this cause. We cannot do this alone and would be remiss to try.

If you are a pro-autonomy PA with the interest and desire to commit to active involvement, please submit your cover letter and CV to papathway@gmail.com.

Best regards,

Nichole Bateman, PA-C, MPAS President, PAFT

Task Force Co-Chair

Brian Sady, MMSc, MPAS, PA-C

Task Force Co-Chair

It's a little ironic that, as I type this response, the post two lines below this post is titled "Feeling incompetent" whose OP is struggling working in an urgent care clinic.  

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/38269-feeling-incompetent/

Maybe we should slow down and look at the tremendous difference in baseline education between physicians and PAs.  

I think the time for PA autonomy has come and 100% support that we, the PAs out here in the trenches, help guide the transition.

Autonomy is NOT for new grads - either physician or PA, in my opinion.

We need to discuss timelines and experience and how to quantify and qualify that experience into the ability to hold one's own in primary care or emergency medicine - this is where I see PAs doing this.

I don't see a PA going solo in derm or ortho or any surgical specialty or subspecialty. I hear the need for autonomy in primary care which is where the shortage of providers continues and grows.

So, I have been out 25 years and have spent >13 of that in primary care both rural and urban. Would I qualify to test or be tested or monitored for my ability to function without a supervising physician and have autonomy to provide for patients without direct oversight or cosignature? How would I be tested and how often?Would we ask for inclusion in the AAFP and use a model of their boards? Do I need some sort of masters or doctorate - why? How would reimbursement be handled?

There are a lot of questions and the need to set up adequate structure to help ensure all those we are going to have to convince that we CAN and SHOULD be able to do this at this point in time.

So, again, this is NOT for new grads. We need to establish the criteria for how much experience is enough and move from there.

I will be in line asking for autonomy..........................

I think the time for PA autonomy has come and 100% support that we, the PAs out here in the trenches, help guide the transition.

WTF?  An MD followed by 3 year residency is not enough to be autonomous?  Thats absurd, especially for primary care.  PAs and NPs have already proven that they are competent to practice autonomous primary care with zero residency and 2 years of school.  

Now brain surgery on the other hand is a different story

We need to discuss timelines and experience and how to quantify and qualify that experience into the ability to hold one's own in primary care or emergency medicine - this is where I see PAs doing this.

I don't see a PA going solo in derm or ortho or any surgical specialty or subspecialty. I hear the need for autonomy in primary care which is where the shortage of providers continues and grows.

So, I have been out 25 years and have spent >13 of that in primary care both rural and urban. Would I qualify to test or be tested or monitored for my ability to function without a supervising physician and have autonomy to provide for patients without direct oversight or cosignature? How would I be tested and how often?Would we ask for inclusion in the AAFP and use a model of their boards? Do I need some sort of masters or doctorate - why? How would reimbursement be handled?

There are a lot of questions and the need to set up adequate structure to help ensure all those we are going to have to convince that we CAN and SHOULD be able to do this at this point in time.

So, again, this is NOT for new grads. We need to establish the criteria for how much experience is enough and move from there.

I will be in line asking for autonomy..........................

If this means you're interested, send your CV to the email listed for more information!

Archived