ER Docs/Residents "chilling"

So I recently heard an ER resident talk about how sometimes during a long shift he'll just sit around on the computer for a ~10 mins and do nothing. I guess he uses this time to chill out so he can be ready to see pts again for the next few hours.

If a PA were to do this wouldn't they be fired? I sometimes feel like PAs are watched very closely by the docs. What would happen if you were to run out to your car to grab a snack, go on your cellphone, chill with the computer, etc.?

that's one nice thing about working solo- if everything in the waiting room is low acuity and I am 16 hrs into a 24 and need a sandwich and a 10 min break I just take one. If someone emergent comes in obviously I am back on board.

I can't deal with the "no coffee at your desk, no cellphone at work" folks trying to be important  so I refuse to work when/where they do. that means night shifts and/or solo.

You are not assembling widgets in a factory.

Taking time to go to the bathroom, eat something or just go outside and see the sun (or moon) and take a few deep breaths is healthy and normal.

I agree with EM above - working in an environment where someone is watching you or worries about where you are at every moment is unproductive and unprofessional.

In the ER I always had a tendency to think outloud (on purpose) - such as saying "Ms. X is getting her pelvic sono and Mr. R's labs aren't back. I am stepping to the ladies room and will be back in a few." Probably my paranoid way of making sure folks know I am not off getting a pedicure or something.

There is no sanity in being ON 100% of the time and not having human moments. Makes one a better provider.

It's important to take a few minutes out even on an extremely busy day (maybe especially then). Text your spouse, go get a coffee, check a sports score. I have never seen how PA or MD/DO would differ here. Not at any hospital I worked at anyway.

Well I'm not a PA yet. These are just my observations. Would you say that it's pretty reasonable that I'll be able to find a job that allows me to take a 10 min break a few times in a 10+hr shift?

Breaks aren't written down in most cases and you don't punch a clock.

My experience shows that you communicate to your coworkers and share the time.

No one is going to come to you and say - "hey, your turn to take a break".

So, as part of job interviewing and investigation - you keep your eyes open and watch.

I wouldn't ask during the interview for an ER position when your lunch is scheduled or how many breaks you get.

There will always be the one dinkus who disappears endlessly and takes full advantage of doing as little as possible.

Be yourself, take care of yourself and it will work itself out.

I get the same respect as my MD colleagues at all the hospitals I have practiced at.

There are a few circumstances you wouldn't get a break (99% being surgery especially neuro). However for the most part you will be treated with more respect as a PA than most jobs you may have had. That has been my experience anyway.

There are some environments that are toxic and treat PAs and others like slaves, sure I guess, same is true for any profession. This is not the norm. I suggest not working (or staying on at) any such facility.

There are times when you are so busy you don't have time to pee yes. But not every day should be like that. And there should be NO difference between this and your doc colleagues. If this is the case, it is obviously an employer that doesn't respect PAs and isn't worth working for.

We are highly trained professionals. We work hard but we also deserve and receive respect in our work environments. I did have some crappy situations as a student (again, in surgery) however I have always been highly respected by my staff, admin, employers and colleagues as a practicing PA.

My shop recognizes that we're a pretty intense environment.  Everyone takes a break every so often.  It's something that's needed over the course of a day.  It's needed even more if it's a busy or particularly stressful day.

As has been mentioned above if the environment in which you find yourself working puts you under that much scrutiny you'll probably be better off finding employment elsewhere.  Or, if you can't get a new job, work the schedule so that you work when those with the magnifying glass aren't.

So I recently heard an ER resident talk about how sometimes during a long shift he'll just sit around on the computer for a ~10 mins and do nothing. I guess he uses this time to chill out so he can be ready to see pts again for the next few hours.

If a PA were to do this wouldn't they be fired? I sometimes feel like PAs are watched very closely by the docs. What would happen if you were to run out to your car to grab a snack, go on your cellphone, chill with the computer, etc.?

I have never seen this happen with a PA.  And I will certainly take my 10 minutes to go wolf down a bite to eat or use the bathroom or take a drink.  I have never worked in a place where my breaks were timed.  When I was an ER tech, yes I had timed breaks.  But never as a PA- at this stage, you are a professional, and are expected to carry yourself as one.  In return,  you are afforded a level of respect that other staff may not get.

I started ER a few months ago. No one is down my throat or watching what I do whatsoever. I make it a point to go to the cafeteria at least once, usually twice during my shift. The second there's a lull in things to do, I go. Sure, I quite literally run there and once I have my food I run back and inhale it in front of my computer but no one has ever frowned on me for doing that... Or for making my afternoon tea in the break room...

Hospitalist here.  I usually take a break to grab some lunch and occasionally run down to the lounge to chill out for a few mins and grab a water.  Nobody is going to worry about your time as long as you're doing a good job and getting your work done.  Just avoid jobs where you have a new patient crammed in your schedule every 10 mins.

No, I would not be fired. Nothing would happen to me if I did those things because I don't do them at the expense of my patients, which is all my employer cares about.

One of the great things about my job is that I'm trusted - by my patients, colleagues, and hospital system - to do what's right. To get the job done. I'm not a gradeschooler who needs to raise my hand to have a potty break.

sounds like a great job. all the places I work now are like that but, but have been at places in the past that do the "no coffee at your desk, no cell phone use while on duty", etc BS. guess what? I'm not turning off my cell phone just because I am at work. my family needs to be able to reach me. I have kids, elderly parents, etc. They know not to call out of the blue to chat about what's for dinner. that is what texting is for.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived