Navy Program

Hello! 

I was interested in hearing from people who are considering, currently part of, or completed the Navy PA program. I like the idea that I would be able to receive help with student loans while still in school (versus the NHSC repayment program) and it seems that there are more options for working in specialty areas (versus just primary care a la NHSC) (nothing against primary care, I'm just drawn to the idea of having more choices). However, the commitment is longer (3 years)...and I did hear from someone that sometimes the commitment ends up being way more than 3 years. Also, is there a physical component to the officer school? 

Any and all input regarding this program would be awesome! Thanks!

More options for specialty areas in the navy? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAJAJAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH [breaths] No.

Seriously, don't join for money or you'll be like some of my friends that are miserable, dying to be in a specialty, and cursing the navy for deploying them, which they should have seen coming.

That's not a PA school. That's just the Navy advertising that they use PAs. Sorry. You can join the Navy after PA school, if you like. But... well... military recruiters and advertisements are like used car salesmen; it's never as good as it is in the showroom. But, do your due diligence, and if its what you want it can be a rewarding career.

I think if you are genuinely interested in joining the military, it could be a good option, but is a big decision. If you are more interested in specialties and just worried about loans, this may not be the route to go. I am not in the military, so I can't answer based on personal experience, however, I have worked with several army and navy docs, PAs and other health professionals. That being said, do you work in a hospital or with PAs, and/or with any medical professionals in the military? It might be worth seeking out some people in your community to get a good sense of the lifestyle, commitment, and process involved. Good luck & hope you find a specialty and career that you love!

I took a gander at the website you linked.  Let me sum up for you what I found there combined with the posts here:

There is no indication that the Navy program will allow you more options than primary care.  The site lists "specific surgical subspecialties", but it's not like derm/ortho/etc are necessarily options.  The bulk of the Navy program is primary/general practice care as well as 'emergent need areas like EM, rural med family practice'.  This is VERY similar to where NHSC would place you.

There ARE NHSC scholarship programs that assist in paying for school during school (but they are VERY competitive) as well as the loan repayment programs they offer.

The site doesn't say if there is a physical component to the ODS school, but one of the requirements/qualifications IS to be in good physical condition and pass a full medical workup.  I.e. yea, you probably need to meet military standards here.  Also, under those qualifications it mentions a *minimum* 3 year commitment (so there's always that chance you're involuntarily in longer).  NHSC is just 2.

Unless you have some specific drive to join the military, I would NOT suggest pursuing this JUST to help out your loan situation.

Archived