How important is the writing portion of the GRE?

I took the GRE and received decent scores of V: 153 and Q: 157, both were above the 50% mark so I was fairly happy. However, my writing score did not follow this trend and I received a 3. Is this low mark going to hurt me to the point that I need to retake the entire test to be competitive? I am hesitant because I do not want to take it again and possibly lower my other scores. If I am able to draft a well written personal statement will the low score have less weight against me?

All other scoring attributes (ie. GPA, HCE, etc.) are right around most program norms that I have seen.

Any input would be extremely helpful!

• Administrator

Like most other things GRE-related, it will most likely be a tiebreaker between equally qualified candidates.  The writing portion less so than the multiple-choice parts of the GRE, because schools know that someone who excels at the GRE is not going to have test anxiety, choke on the PANCE, and screw up their first time PANCE pass rate.  Still, GRE written might only be a problem if you come in with a beautiful, Pulitzer-prize worthy statement... and then tank on the GRE written.  Discrepancies that are noticed are not good.

Archived