Switching Specialities - how do I sell myself in the interview when I have no experience?

I am currently in the hair restoration and medical aesthetic industry.  I really thought I'd love doing this type of niche in medicine, but it is hardly medicine and I am really starting to miss what I was taught in school (diagnostic, treatment, etc...) I am looking to switch to either ED, urgent care, or maybe even hospitalist.  Something that is well-rounded in medicine, but where I also have the opportunity for shift work.  

I have only been in this job for about 5 months, and before this I was in heme/onc for about a year. These past 2 jobs were posted as "new grads encouraged to apply." So how do I sell myself in an interview in a new job where I have to basically start all over?  I'm assuming they would just look at me as a new grad, unfortunately... but I'm not really a new grad!  Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how they successfully switched to a completely different specialty?  Would it help to start doing CMEs in other fields of medicine to get a head start in learning a new specialty?

consider a residency in a field of interest or go back to heme onc.

I'm sorry, but after your current job you will need to start at the bottom of any specialty except  heme onc. I don't know of any EDs that would interview given that experience. sorry to be so blunt, just being honest.

• Administrator

Yes, do CME targeted at where you want to go.

Consider picking up a family medicine gig that wants new grads.  You won't be one, but if you want to get back to well-rounded medicine, family med is where it's at.  You have a disadvantage (been in arcane, esoteric specialties since graduation) and a corresponding advantage (have at least been holding a job and doing medicine), so yeah, I'd shoot for a good new grad starting package... and then if you like the field, you can move on up from there.

Agree w above...also if available possibly volunteer in a medical clinic to start getting experience (outreach, homeless shelter, etc etc) and be sure your ACLS and other certifications are up to date! Also, if you do go into family med, perhaps you could find a way to bring your aesthetic experience in and attack some 'cash' patients! 

Archived