Residency and the Salary Increase?

Which residency, if any ultimately lead to a quick salary increase?

How much of a pay increase can one expect?

Which Specialty in your opinion is the highest pay after doing a residency?

Over time....every year how much of a pay increase can one expect per year?

I have read so many articles on the internet....however, can't seem to come to a good consensus.

All of your comments are all very appreciative.

Why the pay focus?  If you want a residency that makes you a ton of money, an orthopedic surgery residency simply can't be beat.

Thanks for your response.  Having equal interests in both surgical and non-surgical specialties....would nice to be able to fully devote my energies into something that pay off all my undergraduate, graduate loans and still enjoy medicine.

How much can one expect right after doing this residency? And how much of an increase can one expect to get each year staying in this?

Many Thanks

Sunnyn, you do seem to be rather focused on pay and $$ based on your posts.

That being said, it's been my experience that generally speaking higher pay comes at some cost - that is higher paying jobs are harder, more stressful, more unpleasant in some way shape or form. Also anything involving a lot of procedures, tends to pay better than something involving only talking.

If $$ is your main objective (and actually being a PA is not a great way to grow very very wealthy) then consider that doing a residency costs you one year of reduced salary. It is debatable whether one's salary post-residency makes up that $ loss, or not. Of course, there are many many other non $ benefits of residency.

If your main motivation in working is to make a lot of $$, I am not sure PA is the best profession. Just saying.

Sunnyn, you do seem to be rather focused on pay and $$ based on your posts.

That being said, it's been my experience that generally speaking higher pay comes at some cost - that is higher paying jobs are harder, more stressful, more unpleasant in some way shape or form. Also anything involving a lot of procedures, tends to pay better than something involving only talking.

If $$ is your main objective (and actually being a PA is not a great way to grow very very wealthy) then consider that doing a residency costs you one year of reduced salary. It is debatable whether one's salary post-residency makes up that $ loss, or not. Of course, there are many many other non $ benefits of residency.

If your main motivation in working is to make a lot of $$, I am not sure PA is the best profession. Just saying.

Thanks for your response dear friend.  I think that PA is a great profession.  $$ is not totally my main focus.  Just knowing how to better focus an inherent interest and energy in learning and practicing any kind of medicine many  not be such a bad idea.  

I'm guessing CT surg residency grads likely make more on avg than ortho surg residency grads.

ct surge residency PAs make no more than otj trained ct surge PAs, residency may be beneficial for the slow undedicated learners but does not equal a superior provider in the PA realm. i would welcome any studies showing otherwise

• Administrator

I'm guessing CT surg residency grads likely make more on avg than ortho surg residency grads.

Probably.  But I should clarify a bit: I meant an MD/DO orthopedic surgical residency, which will easily give the incumbent twice the salary of the highest paid PA.  In other words, if you want to *make* *money* above all else, go to medical school.

Probably.  But I should clarify a bit: I meant an MD/DO orthopedic surgical residency, which will easily give the incumbent twice the salary of the highest paid PA.  In other words, if you want to *make* *money* above all else, go to medical school.

If you want to make money above all else, become a healthcare administrator.

What would you say the highest ever reported PA makes? how long does it take and is it in Ortho?  

Thanks

• Administrator

Sorry to offend you.  Good luck to you!

I think you should be doing a lot more reading, introspection, and taking feedback like this and incorporating it into your posting style and frequency.  I think it would be fair to say that to some posters here, you're coming off as lazy and moneygrubbing... because when *I* read your posts, they seem to portray a lazy and moneygrubbing author.  Whether or not that's true, I get where the posters who are not pleased with you are coming from, and you've seemingly been reluctant to take broad hints, so I'm being a bit blunter here.

I think you should be doing a lot more reading, introspection, and taking feedback like this and incorporating it into your posting style and frequency.  I think it would be fair to say that to some posters here, you're coming off as lazy and moneygrubbing... because when *I* read your posts, they seem to portray a lazy and moneygrubbing author.  Whether or not that's true, I get where the posters who are not pleased with you are coming from, and you've seemingly been reluctant to take broad hints, so I'm being a bit blunter here.

Thanks for your response sir.....I appreciate your words.  However, I am not a lazy, or a money grabbing person.  

Just trying to learn a few things here and there from all or anyone who is kind enough to comment.  

Having a genuine interest in medicine (as a whole)......balancing my interests, my personal life, with gaining more knowledge as to the difficulty, challenges that might be required to achieve it....this is something all of us at some point and time have personally asked ourselves and have sought guidance for. 

I personally thank you and everyone who has put forth their opinions about something I have seeked to learn about and am still researching......

Wishing you all a Happy and wonderful New Year ahead!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your response sir.....I appreciate your words.  However, I am not a lazy, or a money grabbing person.  

Just trying to learn a few things here and there from all or anyone who is kind enough to comment.  

Having a genuine interest in medicine (as a whole)......balancing my interests, my personal life, with gaining more knowledge as to the difficulty, challenges that might be required to achieve it....this is something all of us at some point and time have personally asked ourselves and have sought guidance for. 

I personally thank you and everyone who has put forth their opinions about something I have seeked to learn about and am still researching......

Wishing you all a Happy and wonderful New Year ahead!

Sunnyn,

I'm sure income and financial stability has crossed each of our minds at some point in our PA careers. That said, I think you hit the point right on the nail.. at some point and time we have *personally* asked ourselves and have researched the topic. That said, I have to agree with the moderator and others on this post... it seems like making the "highest" income is very important to you and if it is and you're on your way to becoming a PA, then you have already lost. As someone stated previously, more income typically equates to more responsibilities and a higher stress volume. Of course we are not oblivious to the fact that we need to eat, have a place to sleep and overall want to live comfortably, but at the end of the day the income of a PA doesn't come close to the work load. For example, AAPA revealed that Ortho is one of the top 5 highest paying PA specialities. That said, if you haven't completed your rotation in ortho, you may not realize how physically taxing orthopedics can be. On the other hand, ER has been described as both physically and mentally taxing, but it is also one of the top 5 highest paid PA specialities. That doesn't include the long list of paperwork, grand rounds, etc that carve out a chunk of your time, but you may not get overtime if you're there late to complete your required duties.

Sometimes it is how you say things that offends people, in addition to the types of questions you're asking. I suggest that you do your own research. Join AAPA if you're not already a member and download the salary reports for seasoned PA-C and compare it to recent PA graduates (there is a salary difference, if you didn't already know that). Maybe even call and speak with recruiters or HR reps about their take on residency training. Overall, I prefer a structured learning environment and I am by no means a *slow undedicated learner*... I just prefer a different learning environment. You are moving into the big leagues, where etiquette and tact go a long way. Good luck to you on your quest to get the most money. Maybe try your hand at the $1.3 billion Powerball?? Just a thought  

Archived