Books for Didactic Year 1 and Clinical Year 2

The ones required by your school are different for each school.

In my opinion, it was excessive to have most of the books required at my school.

Ones most helpful to me: Dubins EKG, Netters/Grants Anatomy, CMDT or Cecil's, Made ridiculously simple series-- I would recommend the Neuroanatomy one, microbiology one, pharmacology one, and pathophysiology one.

Other resources: https://onlinemeded.org/home has good overviews of common pathology.

Most helpful books for rotations: Case Files Series (Family Medicine & Pediatric rotations), Surgical Recall for surgery, Medicine recall and Washington manual for impatient IM, First Aid series for EM wards. Ortho-- pretty much anything that has X-ray/imaging in it.

Throughout your schooling I would be studying a review book that has practice questions for the boards. Best ones are Lange and Kaplan in my opinion. Also, one of the best overall review books for pance is probably First Aid for USMLE Step 2 CK. It is concise but covers everything you will see on boards/packrat

The ones required by your school are different for each school.

In my opinion, it was excessive to have most of the books required at my school.

Ones most helpful to me: Dubins EKG, Netters/Grants Anatomy, CMDT or Cecil's, Made ridiculously simple series-- I would recommend the Neuroanatomy one, microbiology one, pharmacology one, and pathophysiology one.

Other resources: https://onlinemeded.org/home has good overviews of common pathology.

Most helpful books for rotations: Case Files Series (Family Medicine & Pediatric rotations), Surgical Recall for surgery, Medicine recall and Washington manual for impatient IM, First Aid series for EM wards. Ortho-- pretty much anything that has X-ray/imaging in it.

Throughout your schooling I would be studying a review book that has practice questions for the boards. Best ones are Lange and Kaplan in my opinion. Also, one of the best overall review books for pance is probably First Aid for USMLE Step 2 CK. It is concise but covers everything you will see on boards/packrat

Thanks for your response:

Is it possible to perhaps use Kaplan usmle step 2 ck and or/ step 3 stuff? Conrad fischer stuff, usmleworld step 2 ck and / or step 3 q bank in order to effectively study for the Pance exam ( i know there are some differences in the blueprint -- content asked) and comfortably pass the pance exam?

Thanks.

Thanks for your response:

Is it possible to perhaps use Kaplan usmle step 2 ck and or/ step 3 stuff? Conrad fischer stuff, usmleworld step 2 ck and / or step 3 q bank in order to effectively study for the Pance exam ( i know there are some differences in the blueprint -- content asked) and comfortably pass the pance exam?

Thanks.

From what I know about a few of those q banks, you will only get about 50% of the questions applicable to PANCE. Most will be way over what you need to know. That doesn't mean you can't use them because they will probably help your fund of knowledge or you just shrug it off and forget it.

I recommend going to PA school and passing your classes first before worrying about board review qbanks.

From what I know about a few of those q banks, you will only get about 50% of the questions applicable to PANCE. Most will be way over what you need to know. That doesn't mean you can't use them because they will probably help your fund of knowledge or you just shrug it off and forget it.

I recommend going to PA school and passing your classes first before worrying about board review qbanks.

Thanks for your suggestions!

• 1 year later...

Hi, do you think USMLE Step 1 would be a waste of money to purchase during didactic year, and I should consider buying step 2 CK instead? starting 3rd semester soon with nutrition, urology, oncology, pharm2, clinical correlations, hospice.

I have used USMLE Step 2 during didactic year and it is pretty helpful! I also recommend Certification and Recertification for PA's (it's a lime green book)...the green book was very helpful because it has every disease and disorder on the PANCE with hallmarks of everything. I used both of these books a lot for our Clinical Medicine courses. 

Hi, do you think USMLE Step 1 would be a waste of money to purchase during didactic year, and I should consider buying step 2 CK instead? starting 3rd semester soon with nutrition, urology, oncology, pharm2, clinical correlations, hospice.

Trust me, USMLE step 1 is WAY too much for PA school and PANCE. You won't know what you should be studying and whats relevant to you. Also, I would highly recommend Pathoma by Dr. Sattar for pathology. The book is great, but the real value is in the videos where he explains everything. You can watch on 1, 1.4, 18., 2x speed if you would like. Dubin EKG is obviously a must as well. Good luck

Archived