talk to me about NC....

Hi,

I am just beginning my program as an older student, and have had plans, (and a house/farm) in NC- specifically the Tryon/Landrum area. I am hoping to still move here once I graduate...but am coming from MI and a super hospital with very supportive docs who gave me an educational leave to I would (most likely) have a job when I returned to work as a PA.

But...NC is lovely- my home is lovely down here and everything about the area is just..fantastic. So, anyone want to shed light on what it's like to be a PA in this area? I know Asheville has great hospitals, and a progressive medical community. Any other insights would be appreciated!

I'm currently a student at Wake. The experience that i have with the PAs that i shadowed and have met has been pleasant. NC is a very PA friendly state, considering it is the birthplace of our profession. Perhaps if u have specific questions i can ask my PAs about it. As a student, i look forward to graduating and will more than likely staying in NC to practice as well.

bunches o PAs in marion county, rutherfordton, landis, forest city. St Lukes, Rutherfordton Hospitals very PA friendly. If you are local, should be no prob finding job... but it sounds like you have a sweet deal in MI, which would nurture and mature you. Not sure I would give that professional opportunity up for geography.

davis

• 3 weeks later...

Like with any other state, it depends on what you want to do and where you want to do it. ED PAs in the Charlotte area find themselves with the lower acuity patients outside of the "major" areas in the ED, but that isn't always the case. The more rural counties, such as Rutherford, have PAs handling much more of the patient volume and acuities, and although the number of patients is lower than, say, Charlotte or Raleigh, the higher acuities might actaully be more prevalent in the rural ED. NC is a great state for PAs to practice.

Thanks so much for the replies. I just spent 3 weeks there before I went to school in MI with my family and I really adore the area, mountains etc. My move will be there when done- now to decide (I am 48- will be 50 when I am done! YIKES) if I do a residency or not- if that will help me land a job.

Again- thanks for all the thoughtful replies!

• 7 months later...

Okay-so am now 2/3rds done and am looking at rotations in the area. I can find my own rotations, so am thinking finding a rotation down here might be a good way to feel things out. Any idea/? I have enough experience with patients to be comfortable in almost any setting (10+years in a hospital ICU setting) so won't have that 'hang back' aporoach. I don't mind getting dirty, tired or overwhelmed. :-). I believe that's part of the job description! Lol.

It does worry me a bit- seems as if PAs in SC are not quite as known as competent providers as they are in MI. I had to go to an spot with my daughter, and her md responded that her patients did not want to be touched by a PA. Ouch!!!!

Thanks for any ideas!

Archived