Survey of Organic Chemistry vs. Orgo 1 and 2

• Administrator

Depends on your school, but quite likely not.  If it's a nursing prerequisite vs. a science majors course, my experience was that no, it was not accepted by most programs--I took an "Introductory Organic and Biochemistry" course in person at my local community college, in which I got an A, but which did not count for most PA schools. BUT the real value of it was that I had all the basics down when I did the UNE online OChem course the following year because it wasn't sufficient.  Again--it wasn't a waste of a class, because it really helped me succeed online, and OChem is like the absolute worst possible class to take online, regardless of how well it's taught.

• Administrator

So even if I have to take biochemistry anyways I should go ahead and take orgo 1 and 2 instead of survey of orgo?

It really depends.  I only needed OChem 1 for any of the 5 PA programs to which I applied, and the one that I went to would have been fine with a single semester of biochem or OChem 1.  Some schools do not require OChem at all, but realize that the more, and more difficult, courses you can take and master, the more options you have.

I think traditional orgo 1 and 2 would look better in my opinion. Plus, if you wanted to take biochem a lot of schools want the orgo series for the course (makes sense because the content of biochem uses a lot of orgo and gen chem). Orgo is a bear but it's doable. I was terrified of it and I think that helped me do well in the courses. I knew going in it would be difficult and devoted extra time to it each day. Practice practice practice and you will breeze through it...maybe not breeze but you'll come out the other side with some hair still intact.

Take orgo 1 and 2.

From some schools around me, survey in a name typically means it doesnt go as in depth and that doesnt look good. Just take orgo 1 and 2. The other benefit is if you later decide you want to pick up biochem, you can. Biochem is a requirement to a lot of school so.

I am currently in this same situation.  All the schools around me only offer Orgo 2 in the spring semester.  I am planning on taking an Orgo survey course, and taking Biochem online through UC Berkeley Extension.  It's probably not ideal, but most of the schools I am looking at just require the Biochem course.

Figure out what schools you want to apply to and look at their pre-reqs. Generally speaking most schools don't accept "survey" or "foundations" classes. Some schools will accept either or situations for example, biochem OR organic chem. Again, this depends on the program. Figure out what your schools of choice want and do that. 

I only took orgo 1 and found I couldn't apply to only about 3 schools out of the 15 I was looking at. I also never took biochem, which I found was typically in suggested courses at most programs in looked at. I made an excel spread sheet of all programs I was interested in and recorded all the prerequisites so I could stay organized and wouldn't forget what school required what

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Archived