Per Diem Pain Management - What would you ask for?

Hello all - this is my first time posting (although I have been watching for a while). I worked in Pain Management for 4+ Years (and Family Practice Before that for 2 years) and took 5 years off to have my children. I was offered a per diem pain management position in a different office to cover a PM & R doc who was going on vacation for 2 weeks. I asked to work a day along side the doc to get a feel for the practice (and make sure it wasn't a drug mill) thinking I'd learn a few things - well quite the opposite - I was educating the doc to recent articles and online CME's I took - Patients were asking to see me and not the doc for F/U's. Anyway I didn't expect to be paid but the Office Manager (owner) commented on how well I did, how quickly I learned the computer records and said to add those hours to your week (that was last Friday) and well my week starts tomorrow. In horror I realized we never talked about an agreed upon per diem rate (Stupid I know! they are paying malpractice which is signed and done) - the owners are husband and wife and have been very accomodating - They called me tonight to confirm my start time tomorrow and I mentioned we didn't talk rate and she said no worries come in tomorrow and we'll set it straight. SOOOOO.....what do I ask for? It is Suffolk County, NY on Long Island - private office where I would do Trigger Point and other various injections and of course F/Us & NPs - they have PT, Chiro and Massage in the office. I have undercut myself in the past and I do not want to do it again (people don't always do the right thing - my last doc got away with murder) But I also want to be fair and not ask for the sky since it would be a nice gig 10 minutes from home and I know the staff from the community.

How much is fair and what would you ask for?

Yeah I would say 60 an hour is reasonable especially since you are bringing a lot to the table. 60 is probably on the low end anyways for the offer since there won't be benefits and things like that. I always learned in negotiations to ALWAYS let them make the first move and throw out a number. You either will be pleasantly surprised or you will get practice on your negotiating skills. Since you seem like you know what you are doing you might also consider and base rate + RVU scenario which might get you a higher pay and be beneficial to the employer. Just a thought. If you want straight hourly I would say 60 minimum.

Archived