Derm job, PLEASE give feedback

I am a new grad who was offered a derm job with a starting salary of 65K for the first 6 months, then 70K for the next 6 months. Then 75K for the 2nd year, going to 85K the 3rd year. Also offered a productivity bonus that starts after the 1st year. When asked about the specifics of the productivity bonus, the doc told me he couldn't tell me because it was complicated. A co-worker told me that she has no idea how much she is paid per service and that the amount of her last bonus was made by the doc giving her "what he thought she deserved" not on the number of biopsies, excisions etc, that she had done. $500.00 professional fees, malpractice, 2 weeks vacation after 1st year, 5K CME.

Can anyone help me sort out whether this is typical

offer or a bad deal?

Hmmm; Thats the first thing that comes to mind!! Well, the CME allowance is about the only fair part, IMO

First - 65k is silly, but if you look at this as a 1 yr "residency", with the opportunity for a LARGE raise, then maybe you can squint your eyes and make a case.

Next - 2 weeks vacation after 1 yr? That means no time off your first yr? Wow

Next - The only thing complicated about the bonus structure is this doctor's poor intentions to take advantage.

Next after 3 years your salary will be equivalent to the average starting salary for PAs--in one of the highest paying specialties.

My opinion--KEEP LOOKING!

I cannot say how much I agree with njsurgpa. Don't put yourself through this. Are you willing to give 3 years up for a final pay that is below average for a new grad now? I agree that only bad things can come if there is not a structure to the bonus. How can it be too complicated? This sounds like a way of saying I will give you what I want, and how much money I want, depending on how I feel type of complicated. If you were working 3 days a week this would be a reasonable offer. Only positive is CME money which is above average.

See this is the problem with PAs accepting low ball or ridiculous offers, it hurts all of us. You are wanting a job with this doc/group who is used to getting PAs cheap ( I don't like to use that word but that is what it is) and now you are forced to either take it or walk awaiy. I know I didn't go to PA school to be given a lot of responsibility and not compensated. All legal risk and no reward.

My Opinion: Keep looking. Seriously do yourself and everyone else in the profession. Sorry to be blunt.

Thank you for the feedback. I agree that taking low salaries hurts everyone and was not desperate for a job. The doc told me this was the going salary and justified it by saying that he would be training me for a year without me generating any income. As a new graduate, I had no idea what the appropriate starting salary was and trusted the doc to give me a fair deal. Now, I'm weeks into this job and discovering that this was not a fair deal. So, now what? Find another job? How do I explain only working such a short time before looking for another job? Stick it out for a year and then leave? Talk to the doc and ask for an appropriate salary which would be 75K????? What about the production bonus? What is an appropriate percentage for this?

New graduates are really vunerable to this type of thing because we have no way to know what salary to negotiate unless we ask experienced PAs like I am doing now. Wish I had found this site before getting myself into this mess.

If I was in your shoes I would keep a smile on my face at the job place and put my nose to the grindstone outside of work actively seeking a job elsewhere. Once I found a job I would put in my notice and leave. I would tell my future employers that the doc I was working with did not value PAs and their potential and you are looking to add to the team and live up to your potential or some bull like that. You are in a no win situation here unfortunately. Let's play out the scenario where you stay at your job. You bust your but for a year proving yourself and then at the end still get a crap pay of 75k IF the doc feels you deserve a raise. Even if you get the raise you are still below average starting pay for a NEW grad now and you are in one of the better paying professions. The only mistake you can make now is leaving before you find a new job.

My opinion is to suck up the first year as long as you are getting a good experience. About 10 months into the job, start looking for other derm jobs. This way you are more marketable for your training, you dont appear to other employers as a "ship jumper", and you have a good answer on you next interview as to why "you are leaving after about 1 year". Just my two cents.

Mike

Archived