Class of 2018

Hey guys!

Congrats everyone!!! This is sooooooo exciting! I was hoping we could all introduce ourselves seeing as will be seeing lots of each other starting Summer. 

My name is Johana Soto ill be joining you all from the sunshine state, Delray Beach Florida! 

This is a dream come true!!! 

Hi!

I'm Kaleigh Naylor. I was originally accepted into the class of 2010, but took some years off for family. I'm ecstatic to be a part of the class of 2018! I've lived in Birmingham for the last 10 years- except for a brief stint in Oregon when I was working as an apprentice midwife at a birth center- and have worked as a doula and childbirth educator here for the past 6 years. I'm looking forward to getting to know as many of my classmates as possible!

Hi everyone! Excited to start this journey with everyone. For those of you who are from or live in Birmingham, can you recommend what areas of town we should look for to live? I have only been to Birmingham once and that was for the interview so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks and congrat to all!

Hi! It depends on your budget. You can find housing downtown near campus but it's pricey and the apartments are a lot older. I would try to stay near Homewood, Vestavia, and Hoover. It depends on your budget and how far you're willing to commute. If you find a place and want to know more about it, feel free to ask! I'll help any way I can!

Hi everyone! Excited to start this journey with everyone. For those of you who are from or live in Birmingham, can you recommend what areas of town we should look for to live? I have only been to Birmingham once and that was for the interview so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks and congrat to all!

My husband and I own a home in South Eastlake. It's an easy commute to UAB and easy access to I59 and I20, very affordable (especially if you want to rent and want a bit more space). The neighborhood is currently revitalizing, though, so it requires a bit of a pioneering spirit, but we love our neighbors  and community. It's a quick drive to the Crestwood and Avondale neighborhoods, both of which I also love, but can't afford! Avondale was recently named the "most hip" neighborhood in Birmingham- and it is. It has some of the best food and brews (if that's your thing) in Birmingham and is home to Satellite/Saturn (Satellite was recently named the #1 coffee shop in Alabama). However, over the course of my time in Birmingham, I've also lived in Southside/Highlands (super convenient to UAB) and Homewood (in Homewood Townhomes on Valley Avenue- the road that goes right past the Vulcan). I lived in Cahaba Heights when I was in my last year of undergrad at UAB back in 2006/2007 and it was a hellacious commute. But it's a more gentrified neighborhood. There are tons of options- it all depends on what your goals are! In terms of Alabama, or even the South in general, Birmingham is a phenomenally fun place to be. Hope this was helpful!

Congrats everyone! I'm so excited to start next year! Should we create a FB group for our class?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Word on the street is that the president of the class above us will create one for us. Not sure when this will be though, I'm guessing closer to the start of the program but who knows. But I am eager to meet and get to know everyone!

Hey everyone! My name is Korina Nance. So excited we made it! I'm currently finishing up a masters at UAB and went to UAB for undergrad, so I can also answer any questions you guys might have! I was told the facebook group would be created around May but if anyone wants to do an unofficial one for now, I'm down. I live downtown... They are not the nicest apartments, but they are cheap ($675 for a 2 bedroom) and predominantly rented out by students. They are a 20 minute walk or 7 minute bike ride from where our classes will be. May be looking for a roomie by the time classes start but it's all up in the air for now! Looking forward to the next couple years with you guys!

Hi guys! I'm Alayna Holderfield, and I'm beyond excited to go through PA school with each of you! I've lived in Birmingham for the last 3 1/2 years (downtown near campus) and love it. If you're looking for something a little less expensive, Lakeshore and South Homewood might be good options. I pay around $630 for my share in a 4 bedroom at University House (not the best place for grad students), but I've also heard of other students paying in the $500 range at Lakeshore. I would look for places close to Samford University or English Village. Downtown is a great place to be if you can afford it. It's super close to campus, surrounded by great places to eat, and has lots of new apartment complexes opening up. Hope this helps!

Archived