Incentive Pay. Is it worth it??

Hello all,

I just recently moved to Maryland and am currently looking for a PA position. I was offered a position on an "incentive pay" basis. Basically, the doctor offered a $60K annual salary with "bonus pay" consisting of half of the revenue I generate each month. He doesn't offer ANY benefits beyond Malpractice coverage and licensing and DEA registration costs. Apparently, this type of pay scale give "incentive" to work with a higher potential of making more income.

I'm not familiar with this type of arrangement with such a low salary. I have 4 years experience as a PA and am hesitant to accept such a low salary. Has anyone had any experience with incentive pay? Is it worth it?

From personal experience you still need to know is the "revenue" number based upon your charges or your profits. If all you get is what's left after the other overhead is paid you may come out on the short end of things. I was once in a similar setting and was flabbergasted by the poor billing that I had no control over that ultimately reduced my pay. Knowing the mix of insurance payers and what they pay for a PA and equating this out to expected volumes may also help as well. Things like vacation means a significant reduction in pay not to mention what happens if your sick and can't make it to work. I'd be leary of this deal as it seems there is a lot that's left up in the air. Good luck.

• 8 months later...

Archived