Please Help Me! PA to MD...opening a can of worms

I’m not a PA (yet) and don’t have a family or kids (yet) so I probably don’t know what I’m talking about, but here are my thoughts.

It sounds like one of your main reasons for going to medical school was not because you didn’t like your job, but because you thought the only reason you had respect and autonomy was because of having your husband as your SP. I doubt that’s the case. I would bet your coworkers respected you because you are a good PA. I don’t know what the culture is like where you worked, but I can imagine that if you were a lousy PA then people would gossip and be equally if not more hard on you.

I’m sure you could find another job, independent of your husband, and do great.

Medical school is stressful and it’s not going to get any easier. That being said, the second-guessing and doubt must add even a darker cloud to the whole experience. I would recommend taking a step back, making the decision, and then going on with your life while trying not to bring all of those fears with you into the future.

Also, don't forget, the grass is always greener on the other side. There are so many PAs on this forum that wish they had gone to medical school. That being said, I’m sure there are plenty of docs who wish they hadn’t gone to medical school and instead been able to spend time more time with their family etc. 

best answer I've seen on this thread!

Archived