New Ortho Residency In Mass.

I just got of the phone with one of my best friends from pa school who is a residency trained(norwalk) surgical pa. he is going to be the director of a new orthopedic pa residency program in central mass to start next july.

program format is a 1 yr general program with an optional second/chief yr in which the resident can specialize in an orthopedic subspecialty. the stipend will be 40k first yr and 70k 2nd yr.

class size to start is 2/yr. the program will supply a full benefits package and is currently working on residents housing at the hospital. this is at an academic medical ctr with university affiliation. entry requirements will include graduation from a pa program, nccpa eligible or certified if out > 1 yr. applicants must have an m.s. degree with at least a 3.0 gpa in their pa program.

the residency program will confer a certificate. the primary teaching facility will host a variety of electives and required rotations both in the o.r. and in clinic to include but not limited to sports medicine(clinic and participation in high school/college sports standbys), radiology, hand service,general ortho, knee service, foot and ankle service, joint replacement service, upper extremity service, spine service, er coverage, etc

residents will have a required didactic component and conferences, regular inservice exams, and will be required to take rotating call.

I will post more here about this as things become formalized.

if anyone wants me to forward their cv's on for early consideration please send them to me in a pm.

I have great hopes for this program. my friend (the director) has a wide array of academic and clinical experience specific to the field of orthopedics and has published extensively and been involved in orthopedic clinical research.

(he also did a trauma/critical care rotation with mary fran back in the day....)

Do you know why this (and other residency programs) are requiring m.s. degrees? This sounds like a very interesting residency but because I am in a B.S. PA program I would not be considered...frustrating.

the sponsoring pa program awards a masters....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi - conducting some research on active PA residencies. Can you tell me the formal name of this program or put me in touch with your friend who is the program director? Would like to send our survey to him and learn more about this program. Thanks very much.

Gloria Garver, MS, PA-C

APPAP

Archived