2012 applicants?

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're still waiting, I probably might have to wait longer :( .. that's crazy I thought it stated no waitlist is maintained

At the information session I attended they did say there is no wait list. They also say applicants that meet the requirements and are RCC students and/or live in Riverside County are put into a pool and the selection is "random" from there. Thus 2000 hours HCE has the same odds as 40,000 hours. and a 2.7 GPA is as competitive as a 4.0. I have a hard time believing that. I understand why it would be demographically based, but certainly your LORs, personal statement and transcripts/HCE must play a role in who gets accepted and who doesn't.

At the information session I attended they did say there is no wait list. They also say applicants that meet the requirements and are RCC students and/or live in Riverside County are put into a pool and the selection is "random" from there. Thus 2000 hours HCE has the same odds as 40,000 hours. and a 2.7 GPA is as competitive as a 4.0. I have a hard time believing that. I understand why it would be demographically based, but certainly your LORs, personal statement and transcripts/HCE must play a role in who gets accepted and who doesn't.

That is what I was told as well at one of those orientations. But I wonder how people are getting on a waitlist..

The wait list isn't carried over to the next year, therefore it is not "maintained"... it's more of an alternate list. If you don't get in, but meet the requirements, some go on an alternate list. Then, if between April and August, someone refuses the offer or fails the background check or whatever, they can pull from the alternate list.

Like Pam said, there is an alternate list. I encourage everyone who is applying to apply to other schools as well, especially if you live outside of the RCC district, which would be any city besides, Riverside, Moreno Valley, Corona, Norco. Not all of riv county is inside the district as far as I know. You're chances of getting in outside of the RCCD are slim. (but it does happen) They did say that they do the lottery system, but right before that they said we choose our applicants carefully. What that exactly means, I have no idea. Good luck

How is the program treating you ?

It has been a pretty rocky start, I don't really know how to explain it. The 'meat and potatoes' of pa school seems to be background knowledge of diseases, their etiology, epidemiology, tx, labs,etc. Because everything relies on that. THEY don't teach you that info that is all on you to learn, whichever way you can learn it. Most of the lectures seem more clinically based not exactly helpful for the tests. Figuring out how to learn all of that outside of class when we are in class 8 hours a day is the real challenge. From what I hear, pretty similiar to most programs.

It has been a pretty rocky start, I don't really know how to explain it. The 'meat and potatoes' of pa school seems to be background knowledge of diseases, their etiology, epidemiology, tx, labs,etc. Because everything relies on that. THEY don't teach you that info that is all on you to learn, whichever way you can learn it. Most of the lectures seem more clinically based not exactly helpful for the tests. Figuring out how to learn all of that outside of class when we are in class 8 hours a day is the real challenge. From what I hear, pretty similiar to most programs.

Sounds challenging. And not boring. Which is what I like. Do you have any life outside of PA school. Or is it live, breathe, eat, sleep PA?

Hello 2011 applicants. I wanted to know if any one of you have received confirmation that your applications were received by RCC. I haven't received one yet and just wanted to know if some of you already received that in the mail. Please let me know. Thank you.

I'm curious about the rental market in Riverside. Where do those of you who are not from Riverside reside? Any tips on where to rent? Or places to avoid?

I'm renting a room in Perris. Many of my classmates found something near the school (Moreno Valley) that was affordable, though.

As far as if I have a life outside of school.... well, I honestly haven't tried. I set this time aside for school. I do go to church, catch an occasional $2 movie with a classmate, etc. But school is never far from my mind. You just need a mental break sometimes.

Archived