Hey everyone,

I have just received an offer from a cardiology clinic in Chicago. I would mostly be seeing patients in the clinic but eventually would be running stress tests and rounding in the hospital. I would like some advice on their offer because I am a little wary on incentives and bonuses on top of a lower base salary. Here is their offer:

-75K base salary

-$2K discretionary bonus every quarter beginning in January ( I will start working october 3rd)

All the benefits, vacation time and CME allowance are very good. I do not expect the practice to hold back any of my discretionary bonuses, but I am wondering how I should structure the contract to protect myself.

On another note, their original offer was the same base salary with incentives of %10 of every billable patient I see.

Which offer sounds better? What should I negotiate?

Is anyone out there working in clinical cardiology and making more?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I am going to sign the contract tomorrow so any advice would helpful. I see that 90 people viewed my post so someone has to have some advice.

I have been negotiating salary for a few weeks trying to get a higher base salary but have not been too successful. They have just added on more "discretionary" bonuses basically. So is there any way to have more assurance of getting these bonuses in the contract?

Well it is hard to say an offer is anywhere near acceptable with a starting salary of 75... Well I guess for the cardiologists it's a great offer. To ensure your bonus you wound have to have in writing what they are judging you on. Like patient satisfaction, patients seen, X amount of income generated. It sounds like they are wanting to be able to control how much they are paying you based on how they feel at the time of the decision.

The benefits sound pretty good:

-Health insurance for my wife and I (they pay 80%)

-3 wks PTO including CMEs

-$2000/yr CME (quoted although not in writing yet)

-5 payed sick days + normal holidays

-Covered DEA, malpractice

Their new offer is $77K base with $2K discretionary bonuses ever two months (eligible for first one on March 1st).

Jason09 I completely agree with you that they need to put the bonuses in writing as I have also requested that. They have only described the bonuses as based on "overall satisfaction and independence" so Im not sure how they would quantify that.

I guess with a grading system like that the only thing you can do is ask yourself how comfortable you feel with the people grading you. Do you think they will be fair in the end and do what's right? You would not be able to get anything in writing with those variables as they are all qualitative. I guess you can always give it the old college try and see what happens for 6 months and re-evaluate after that. If you were to get all bonuses it wouldn't be that bad of a gig.

Archived