basic emt training. a good intro to health care

I wonder how many new medics coming out today would have any idea what MCL1 is on an EKG? They love to complain about all the extra time it takes to get a 12-lead with a Lifepak 12; I'll have to break out the old Lifepak 10 someday and have a student run off a 12-lead using MCL 1 through MCL 6, moving the electrodes for each strip :)

(I can't believe we are up to the LP 15 already; seems like yesterday I was so impressed by the LP 10 being able to pace and not having a thermal paper printer!).

My first monitor was the Lifepak 3. No printer at all. And don't forget the fun of getting high brown leads.

I wonder how many new medics coming out today would have any idea what MCL1 is on an EKG? They love to complain about all the extra time it takes to get a 12-lead with a Lifepak 12; I'll have to break out the old Lifepak 10 someday and have a student run off a 12-lead using MCL 1 through MCL 6, moving the electrodes for each strip :)

(I can't believe we are up to the LP 15 already; seems like yesterday I was so impressed by the LP 10 being able to pace and not having a thermal paper printer!).

I cut my teeth on the Lifepak 5... god I LOVED that machine!!!

Did you ever use an APCOR?

G

I cut my teeth on the Lifepak 5... god I LOVED that machine!!!

Did you ever use an APCOR?

G

Thankfully no; I vaguely remember learning how to use one as a back-up device during medic school, but I've never worked in a system that used telemetry. The only thing I really liked about the Lifepak 5 was its weight; that thing was like a big AED!

Were you ever unlucky enough to use the Lifepak 11? I still remember being a solo flycar medic and lugging that lead brick up the stairs with a steel (not aluminum) oxygen tank and my drug bag; I'd be taking hits from the O2 tank by the time I got to the house!! That monitor was so heavy I'm pretty sure there was an actual cardiologist inside doing the 12-lead interpretations!

Thankfully no; I vaguely remember learning how to use one as a back-up device during medic school, but I've never worked in a system that used telemetry. The only thing I really liked about the Lifepak 5 was its weight; that thing was like a big AED!

Were you ever unlucky enough to use the Lifepak 11? I still remember being a solo flycar medic and lugging that lead brick up the stairs with a steel (not aluminum) oxygen tank and my drug bag; I'd be taking hits from the O2 tank by the time I got to the house!! That monitor was so heavy I'm pretty sure there was an actual cardiologist inside doing the 12-lead interpretations!

The APCOR rocked... we never used it for telemetry but it was way cool laying it down in the street talking on it to med control in the midst of a nasty trauma... real Johny and Roy-type stuff...

We never used the LP-11... one of the area services used it and we just laughed when we saw them carrying that monstrosity of a mutated LP-10... and you gotta love the steel O2 tanks :)

Some days I really miss EMS...

G

• 2 months later...

We still use the Lifepak 11 as our back up monitor. It's a great workout to lift it up off the shelf of the suburban and then carry it up the stairs. I'm still in my mid 20s and that thing almost gave me a heart attack. I had to catch my breath before I could talk to the patient after a 5 story walk up!!

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This is definitely a good thread! It has been good to read about those that were in EMS back in the day, mother jugs and speed days. I thought the life pack 10 was old. :) I have been in EMS as an EMT-IV technician for 12 years. It has been a wonderful career but I am ready to move up! I have to say it is a great way to get HCE. You see multiple patients from diverse backgrounds and I have been able to experience some pretty amazing things. I do have to say though it takes a special person to make it in EMS. It is tough not to become complacent after seeing the same person every shift for a month. I have trained many EMT's fresh out of school and some got into it for one reason or the other but not all of them stay. If you can work on an ALS unit do it. It would provide you with great exposure to many different medical problems. The school is short but no amount of scenarios will prepare you for what the real thing is like. I love this site! Whatever EMT program you go through make sure it is accredited or else you will have difficulty getting a state license.

I learned on a lifepak 5 and used one up until my last year as a medic when we got the 10. the extra battery and code summary was nice but I still like the 5 more. have thought about buying one on ebay but would also need a supply of batteries and the charger which are not easy to come by these days.

Where I work we have a few of the chargers and a ton of batteries sitting in a room collecting dust. Not sure when the last time they were conditioned though. The 12's are nice but I think we are switching. Zoll has been dropping off their units for us to try out. So far not as user friendly as the life packs are but still fun to use. I always wondered how back in the day you gauged capnography but I'm sure that was the least of your worries then. There was a person further back in the thread that didn't being an EMT-B's isn't good HCE. I beg to differ. Everyone in EMS started out as a basic so never forget where you came from. With time comes experience. Sure some just out of the gate EMT's are green, but give them a chance. I was thrown right into tough calls right out of school and It forced me to be a quick learner and to become a critical thinker which is key when working with patients with multiple health problems.

• 5 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 3/25/2005 at 2:13 PM, EMEDPA said:

I have been asked for this info a few times so will add it here as a permanent "sticky". emt training is a quick way to learn many important medical skills needed as a pa. it can provide reasonable emplyment as an er tech or ambulance emt( $9-12/hr or so to start) while applying to pa school. it certainly meets experience/clinical prereqs for pa school.

the 120 hr emt class is for emt basic. to do things like starting iv's and giving meds one needs additional training at the level of emt-intermediate or emt paramedic. check with local fire departments and community colleges for emt courses. also check with the national association of emt's:

http://www.naemt.org/ if in the los angeles area check with daniel freeman hospital/ucla prehospital training(link below), they offer all levels of emt training in concentrated form(3 weeks for emt, 7-8 months for paramedic).they also have weekend only training options for those who can't leave a full time job.

http://www.cpc.mednet.ucla.edu/

in northern california(santa cruz) here is another great option for emt training:

http://www.etsclassroom.com/MainSite/Default.htm

online emt course: classwork online, skills done at intensive workshop in texas

http://www.trainingdivision.com/EMT.asp

if anyone else has links to emt training programs feel free to list them here. thanks

I just saw this and I was a advance EMT since I graduated high school. Well it took 5 months after to upgrade from a basic to private. So it's been 9 years of full type and now I still do occasionally volunteering. I now do volunteering after got a full time job as a PA so now that I mentioned my experience I feel old lol.