basic emt training. a good intro to health care

emedpa, would you recommend an emt course at a hospital over one at a community college? The community college course is quicker, but I'm hoping (like anyone else who would apply at a hospital I suppose) that I could get maybe hired there. it also looks to be a rather selective emt-b program. for example, you have to sit for an interview.

if the hospital based course has ties to a job at the hospital go that route. if not community college is fine.

emedpa, would you recommend an emt course at a hospital over one at a community college? The community college course is quicker, but I'm hoping (like anyone else who would apply at a hospital I suppose) that I could get maybe hired there. it also looks to be a rather selective emt-b program. for example, you have to sit for an interview.

Carol,

Not sure where in Texas you are from, but Austin Community College has a first rate EMT-B, I, and P program. I let my EMT expire in the 80's so I took it to get current before applying to PA school; I had been working as a medic for the past few years, but all out of the United States where currency was not something anyone cared about.

The instructors at ACC are all from Austin-Travis County EMS or Williamson County EMS; they were all exceptional and really focused on hands on care as well as textbook. Some programs seem to focus on the text, with a few days of hands on skills training near the end of the program, at ACC, we did hands on every night. It made the hands on skills much easier to pass.

It's easy to move on to the I and P programs after the B, if you would like additional experience. Several students have been selected for PA school while in the I or P programs.

Send me a private email and I will put you in contact with an instructor there if you are close by.

John

• 3 months later...

Came across this and thought I'd mention my training. I did my EMT-B in two weeks straight at http://www.emtinc.net/ in Indiana. They also have a three month paramedic class and claim a 100% pass rate on both practical and written exams with their most recent class. I live in Toledo, Ohio and there is not much work here for basics so I work for a private ambulance company, but I really wish the ED's here hired us.

• 7 months later...

It was this thread that I found when I figured out that a PA is what I wanted to be

I signed up shortly there after for a EMT-B class

I've found the training you get, while limited, can open your eyes to the medical world for a limited cost so you can see if this really is something you want to do.

To think it was in 07 I found this place ! :D

I'd agree that EMT-B class / training helped me with feeling comfortable:

• asking the correct questions
  • doing basic VS
  • taking charge of situation
  • focusing on my task(s)
  • not being distracted
  • or
  • I don't know this person & why should they trust me.

Great experience & no cost if you work for a small town EMS (if you agree to work for them for x amount of time)

As a pre-PA student, and a EMT-P, I must say that the fact that EMT training has helped someone through PA school is a disappointing thing to hear for me. EMTs only have a mandated 110 hours of training at a night school, and usually the programs have no pre-reqs. The only anatomy requirement is 2 hours of anatomy lectures in the program itself, which is about as in-depth as "This is a kidney, and this is a heart". EMTs are not qualified to interpret vital signs, just how to take them, and that is about the limit on their physical assessment abilities (vital signs and checking to see if pulses are present). As to how this very very limited and lacking education could help a PA in the practice of medicine, I am confused.

csmmedic,

I am also a medic and a current PA student. Sorry to disappoint, but EMT-B and P training will help you in PA school. You will be in the unfortunate position to have a slight advantage over some of the other students. Let me break down why.

EMT Basic Training:

- Get over the... ew I actually have to touch some one factor. Patient assessment is a hands on sport and learning the basic trauma assessment is an excellent way to get a feel for how to do a physical exam. No, basics don't have the ability or training to do a complete physical, but you get a good intro into what the mechanics of a physical exam involve.

- How to interact with people in distress. Basics may only have 110 hours of training but they still have to interact with patients and their families in the same distressful situations that paramedics, nurses, PAs, and doctors deal with. This is excellent experience/training in interpersonal skills and being focused while others are in chaos.

- 110 hours of rudimentary extremely basic medical knowledge will give you a wider base of knowledge of illness and injury than sitting in a lab counting drosophila.

Paramedic Training

- IV, IM, SC, TD, Inhaled meds, cardioversion, RSI etc...you already know how to do it. Makes life a lot easier.

- A broader depth of knowledge of medicine and the ability to come up with a treatment plan and/or pathophysiological basis for many common illnesses.

- Better understanding of pharmacology than many other people entering PA school

- Ability to read EKGs...there is an entire course on EKGs. Yes, I learned a bunch...but a lot was review and that definitely helped my grade.

- In medic school and in the field you have touched on many of the topics that go in depth in PA school. Having that little bit of recall from being a medic helps you understand the topics in class a lot better.

I hope this helps you to see how any level of medical training can help you in PA school. Its not necessarily the content of the course or the length, but the mere fact that you have an exposure. EMS is one of the rare fields where for a certain period of time the EMTs/medics are the only providers with the patient. That is a great opportunity to learn how to interact with patients. Good luck in school.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm kind of confused on what exactly an EMT-B does and was wondering if someone could help me out? I'm trying to decide what route I want to take this summer-either CNA or EMT-B. I'm leaning on the EMT side, however if I become an EMT-B will I really get direct patient contact or is that only when you are a regular EMT (is this an EMT-P?) Also, I don't know where to go to even get the course. I live in Tampa, FL and have been looking online. I know the CC nearby does an EMT class but it doesn't say anything about an EMT-B. By the looks of their curriculum it looks like a few semesters worth of work and I was hoping to be able to do something over just a summer or a few weeks. I've seen postings that there are volunteer fire departments that I can go to-how do I know if the fire dept is a volunteer one? Then there's the issue with different places I could volunteer/work at. Does Transcare and ALS do different stuff? I was thinking of doing either CNA or EMT-B as a volunteer and not as a job. Would this be okay? For ex, one nursing home I went visited to see if I could volunteer there said volunteers can't do hands on patient care because of HIPPA. Would this be the case if I were a volunteer CNA or EMT-B? I've noticed people have posted that EMT's often work as ER tech, would that be something I could do if I'm just an EMT-B? Sorry about all the questions, I'm just confused! :confused:

Wendalin:

Yeah, I did my EMT class (Basic) at a community college! (1 class=1 semester)

As a Basic you learn how to treat pts with either trauma or medical issue(s); how to collar & back-board, write note, etc.

A paramedic has alot more training (2yrs) & can do a whole lot more: start IV's, Give Drugs, Intubate. Out of the hospital in EMS, Paramedics run the show, EMT-Basic are at the bottom.

However you can take Historys, List their meds, Take Vitals, PE (blood pressure, HR, Respirations, capillary refill, pupil size, etc)

I guess it depends on how much pt care exposure you get. If working for a volunteer service, you get all kinds, 'cause intermediates & paramedics are limited...thus mostly it's just us poor, little basics; we call for help if needed.

If you work as an EMT Basic in transport service, well you basically pick up pts from hospital or nursing home & bring them to the other place. Usually you will take a brief history, take vitals & maybe quick pe.

Best way to know your answers are: Call the Fire Dept. or stop by!

I know that folks in my class had both: CNA & EMT-basic & Paramedics.

Some one else jump in here: but I thought that CNA & MA did some schooling? Certificate? ANYONE.....Bueller? :confused:

I'm kind of confused on what exactly an EMT-B does and was wondering if someone could help me out? I'm trying to decide what route I want to take this summer-either CNA or EMT-B. I'm leaning on the EMT side, however if I become an EMT-B will I really get direct patient contact or is that only when you are a regular EMT (is this an EMT-P?) Also, I don't know where to go to even get the course. I live in Tampa, FL and have been looking online. I know the CC nearby does an EMT class but it doesn't say anything about an EMT-B. By the looks of their curriculum it looks like a few semesters worth of work and I was hoping to be able to do something over just a summer or a few weeks. I've seen postings that there are volunteer fire departments that I can go to-how do I know if the fire dept is a volunteer one? Then there's the issue with different places I could volunteer/work at. Does Transcare and ALS do different stuff? I was thinking of doing either CNA or EMT-B as a volunteer and not as a job. Would this be okay? For ex, one nursing home I went visited to see if I could volunteer there said volunteers can't do hands on patient care because of HIPPA. Would this be the case if I were a volunteer CNA or EMT-B? I've noticed people have posted that EMT's often work as ER tech, would that be something I could do if I'm just an EMT-B? Sorry about all the questions, I'm just confused! :confused:

Make sure that you study well the job market...seeing that you live in Florida, its really hard to get signed on with a fire dept. unless you have much more school than EMT-B, you have to do fire standards etc...EMT-B are first responders, you work with other EMS personnel most of the time. The EMT-B courses at community colleges are usually 1 semester 3 nights a week (or days). Paramedics as Vachon says is a Associates degree...2 yrs. If you can find a job as an EMT-B you will get patient care experience. There seems to be a freeze on hiring county employees no matter what. You could work as an ER tech but these are very hard to come by...a lot of applicants with experience, as opposed to you fresh from school. Many tech schools also offer both EMT and CNA training. These will all prepare you for the exams to get get licensed in the state.

CNA is the other option and you have more job possibilities such as nursing homes, assisted living, hospitals etc...Both EMT and CNA will give you the HIPAA training you need, heck voluteering in a hospital will require and give you HIPAA training. There is also an online course for free (1/2 hour of powerpoints and a little "exam") that gives you a emailed certificate for HIPAA...I used this to show possible shadow sites that I was aware of the rules. Will find the link...its by George Washinton University.

Keep in mind that every PA program is different, some require PAID Healthcare experience (HCE) while others will accept volunteer work. You need to look at that when you are making your game plan. Check out the requirements for those programs.

Do some job searchs in the tampa area to see what places are looking for...this economy is making it hard to do anything. Keep in mind that it is important to start somewhere...talk to people around you who may know more about your situation locally....take a class and go from there but have a well researched plan.

Edit: here is the link for G.Washington Medical Centers HIPAA course

http://www.goodoutcomes.com/

Edited by Prospective PA
added link

• 2 months later...

I agree that working as an EMT or Medic in a busy 911 system is absolutely priceless if you are wanting a career as a PA or even MD. It teaches you things that you cannot learn in a class room; things like how to talk to people, how to respond to chaotic situations and how to delegate and work with other professionals. It gave me so much confidence.

I hope that after becoming a PA that I can somehow get back out there on an ambulance. I think it would help to keep me sharp and on my toes!

Opportunity for adventurous EMT Pre-PAs...

Would make a helluva personal statement for a Adcomm...;)

DSS Global is looking for US EMT's to fill ambulance spots in Kuwait. I have been in contact with Heimrisks Services International Security who is helping DSS Global staff these positions.

DSS Global is 111k for EMT and 120k for Medics. 10 month contract at first with possible 1-3 year renewal. 4 weeks vacation per year. 12 hour shifts, 6 days a week, laundry, meals, lodging, by US Army. 5% bonus on first term and another 5% at completion on the 1 year.

The website www.heimrisks.com email cv to info@heimrisks.com. Only a handful of positions are available (5 positions).

The Prime Vendor is Combat Support Associates. CHS,DSS Global, and possibly a few others are the subs for the ambulance personnel.

I have been in contact also with CHS (Comprehensive Health Services) and they advised ship out date mid May first of June. CHS pay is 60k for EMT and 71k for Medic. I was advised you do not have to hold National Registry, a state certification/license is fine.

• 6 months later...
Opportunity for adventurous EMT Pre-PAs...

Would make a helluva personal statement for a Adcomm...;)

WOW...what the hell am I doing with a transport company at $11/hr? :p

Ya, I know its an old sticky, but I thought I'd add my experience as an EMT-B. I started with a volunteer 911 company here on Long Island. We run close to 5500 calls a year. Recently, I've started working for a national transport company. They are very different jobs and I love how the 911 work gets the adrenaline going. For instance, in the last week and a half I've done CPR, responded to three car accidents (one patient was choppered out), done a bunch of minor injuries and a bunch of bull**** jobs. Meanwhile, during the paid transport job I see almost all medical patients (as opposed to trauma in 911) and I'm the only person with the patient during transport. You have to take vitals, take medical histories, medication lists, admin. O2, admin. some meds (baby aspirin, nitro, Albuterol, Epipen). Plus you learn how to deal with patients (AMS, drunk, psych, generally pissed off, etc). You get over your fear, for some, of patient contact.

I wish I had the time to get my medic certification because I wish I had the training to treat what I see alot more. I've decided PA school is more important than medic school at this point in my life. Hopefully, I'll be able to get my medic after PA school.

Also, if anyone is looking to do the EMT-B cert on Long Island, every 911 company in Suffolk County is volunteer and they will pay for your training. Some districts only have fire departments that run EMS but in some larger districts they have ambulance only companies. My vollie company, for instance, has ALS equipped ambulances, three fly cars, an MCI truck, and a few other vehicles.

I view my EMT experience as invaluable. You learn about how to work with patients. You learn about EMS, health care, EDs and how they all work together with (or against) each other. You get to drive an ambulance, hop into wrecked cars, see all kinds of trauma, cardiac arrests, house fires, Medevacs, etc.

I'm rambling at this point but, obviously, I'd highly recommend EMT-B or Medic, if you have the time and money, as an intro to health care.

Edited by TheWanderer

Did mine in 1975 using the initial AAOS (1st ed) which was on papyrus. What is this "color film" of which you speak? :confused: And yes, I am that ancient-ask my kids! ;)

yup, I used the "orange book" from aaos as well in the 80's.

at my 1st er tech job we had an ekg machine for which you had to move a v-lead suction cup to get v1-6 and all of our ng tubes and foleys were red rubber. I have also used a hemoglobinometer(which now exist only on ebay as historical oddities) and "spun crits"..

at my 1st er tech job we had an ekg machine for which you had to move a v-lead suction cup to get v1-6 and all of our ng tubes and foleys were red rubber.

LOL. I still remember doing my EMT practical time in the ED and using the suction cup and straps to get a 12-lead. My friend who was also on her rotation accidentally strapped the patients wrist to the bed while using the EKG straps :)

I remember my medic clincals when we used electrodes for the 12 leads.

I wonder how many new medics coming out today would have any idea what MCL1 is on an EKG? They love to complain about all the extra time it takes to get a 12-lead with a Lifepak 12; I'll have to break out the old Lifepak 10 someday and have a student run off a 12-lead using MCL 1 through MCL 6, moving the electrodes for each strip :)

(I can't believe we are up to the LP 15 already; seems like yesterday I was so impressed by the LP 10 being able to pace and not having a thermal paper printer!).

yup, I used the "orange book" from aaos as well in the 80's.

at my 1st er tech job we had an ekg machine for which you had to move a v-lead suction cup to get v1-6 and all of our ng tubes and foleys were red rubber. I have also used a hemoglobinometer(which now exist only on ebay as historical oddities) and "spun crits"..

Remember that damn suction bulb (which always fell off) well. As to the suction, had to wash the Gomco bottles for sterilization (yuk). I still spin hcts (quickest way to grab one on an acute trauma). Using mouth vacume pipettes, hemacytometers for manual white counts. Wow, sometimes I am glad it's not the good old days!