2016-2017 Stanford PCAP application cycle

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone contacted them to check up on applications? This waiting game is killing me!

Someone who attended the last interview session said they were told that everyone would be notified by the beginning of February, which is rapidly approaching!

Good luck! [emoji109]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those of you already accepted, is it true that the scholarship information is sent out with the acceptance email? I find it interesting that they would choose to give someone a scholarship before they even agree to attend the school and pay the deposit. They said it was merit-based and "fit"-based during the interview, so doesn't that mean the people who got in sooner have higher chances of getting it since it's rolling admissions?

I'm still waiting for some type of notice.... *fingers crossed*

For those of you already accepted, is it true that the scholarship information is sent out with the acceptance email? I find it interesting that they would choose to give someone a scholarship before they even agree to attend the school and pay the deposit. They said it was merit-based and "fit"-based during the interview, so doesn't that mean the people who got in sooner have higher chances of getting it since it's rolling admissions?

My first comment about being accepted was the day after I got a phone call. Today I got an email saying I was accepted and it mentioned a scholarship amount. I am assuming they tell you about the scholarship with the acceptance email so it can help convince you to attend Stanford!  Free money is a major plus :) 

Any word yet? 

• 2 months later...

I am going to be applying to Stanford PA program for the 2017-2018 cycle. Can anyone give me some feedback on my stats? 

cGPA: 3.62
sGPA: 3.6

Healthcare Hours: 8,800 (Patient Care Tech / EMT)

Worth Noting: 
-No withdraws,
-No grades lower than a B.
-Worked full time and took full time course load
-Mother Died when I was 17 years old from cancer (in 2010)
-Exposed to medicine since I was 10 years old
-I had to drop out of high school to help support my family (went back and graduated high school at 21 yo)

Extracurricular Activities: 
1st
 Journal Club Member - American Association of Clinical Chemistry
2nd Disaster Response Team Member - Medical Reserves Corp of California
3rd Tutor and Mentor - School on Wheels - Provide one on one weekly tutoring to homeless children throughout high risk areas throughout Los Angeles (Watts, Compton, Inglewood)
4th Volunteer Physician Shadowing - 75 Hours

Letters of Recommendation:
1st: 
Medical Director at Current Medical Facility. I have built a very close relationship. Will provide a stellar letter. His credentials is MD, FACC, FACP.
2nd: Associate Medical Director at Current Medical Facility: I have also built a very close relationship with this person. Will Provide a stellar letter. Credentials are MD, FACC, FACP.
3rd: Biology Professor and Biochemistry Professor: I received 3 A's in his class sequence. He will be able to write a good letter of my ability to learn difficult concepts.
4th: Lead Pastor of Church I have Volunteered at. They will talk about my character and how I have helped their community church through blood pressure and blood glucose screenings.

Sex: Male
Ethnicity: Mexican
Residence: Southern California

Thank you!

Guest HanSolo

Hi socalemt,

You sound like a pretty solid candidate. I think the only thing I see lacking is lack of research experience, but I don't know if that would hold you back. A lot is going to come down to how well you represent yourself on paper (i.e. personal statement). If I were you, especially with those many hours, I would be looking more at programs that don't have a research component of their admissions process. Places like MEDEX and U of Utah come to mind. 

Best of luck. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You'll be fine and you will get in.

You are URM, and low SES, and have good extracurriculars and GPA. You can very likely get into med school actually, but I understand if you want to be a PA.

I am going to be applying to Stanford PA program for the 2017-2018 cycle. Can anyone give me some feedback on my stats? 

cGPA: 3.62[/size]sGPA: 3.6[/size]

Healthcare Hours: 8,800 (Patient Care Tech / EMT)Worth Noting: -No withdraws,[/size]-No grades lower than a B.[/size]-Worked full time and took full time course load[/size]-Mother Died when I was 17 years old from cancer (in 2010)[/size]-Exposed to medicine since I was 10 years old[/size]-I had to drop out of high school to help support my family (went back and graduated high school at 21 yo)[/size]

Extracurricular Activities: 

1st Journal Club Member - American Association of Clinical Chemistry[/size]2nd Disaster Response Team Member - Medical Reserves Corp of California[/size]3rd Tutor and Mentor - School on Wheels - Provide one on one weekly tutoring to homeless children throughout high risk areas throughout Los Angeles (Watts, Compton, Inglewood)[/size]4th Volunteer Physician Shadowing - 75 Hours[/size]Letters of Recommendation:

1st: Medical Director at Current Medical Facility. I have built a very close relationship. Will provide a stellar letter. His credentials is MD, FACC, FACP.[/size]2nd: Associate Medical Director at Current Medical Facility: I have also built a very close relationship with this person. Will Provide a stellar letter. Credentials are MD, FACC, FACP.[/size]3rd: Biology Professor and Biochemistry Professor: I received 3 A's in his class sequence. He will be able to write a good letter of my ability to learn difficult concepts.[/size]4th: Lead Pastor of Church I have Volunteered at. They will talk about my character and how I have helped their community church through blood pressure and blood glucose screenings.[/size]Occupation: EMT/Patient Care Technician[/size]Age: 24[/size]Sex: Male[/size]Ethnicity: Mexican[/size]Residence: Southern California[/size]Thank you![/size]

Archived