Case #16: Cardiovascular Phys/Pharm 101

For the students and newbies.

You, the intrepid on call surgical PA, arrive for Sunday morning rounds.

On the Friday night you recovered an 83 yo M s/p CABG. 4 grafts (LIMA-LAD, Veins to the obtuse marginal, diagonal, posterolateral arteries). He was quite labile the first night and you managed to stabilize him with pressors and resuscitation.

You find him sunday morning, POD#2, on:

Epinephrine @ 2 mcg/min

Phenylephrine @ 90 mcg/min

SBPs are 100-130 but any attempts to wean the drugs off immediately drop his pressure.

His rhythm is paced with temporary pacer wires.

He is awake on 100% nonrebreather with a sat of 95%.

So we have a pressor dependent pt with a high oxygen requirement.

What do you want to ask the RN?

What other information do you want?

Any immediate plans?

Epinephrine @ 2 mcg/min

Phenylephrine @ 90 mcg/min

So we have a pressor dependent pt with a high oxygen requirement.

What do you want to ask the RN?

What other information do you want?

Any immediate plans?

............:mad:............

............:(...........

^ cata = ^ O2 need/demand = ^ angina =^graft issues = where are the BBs?

newbies.... holly crap that is way above my head - glad I don't work in the unit or I would kill the guy...

It is so NOT above your head.

You took basic cardiology in school (hence the title).

Think about low blood pressure, the starling curve all that basic stuff.

Whether it's surgery or medicine, we all have core portions of the patient evaluation.....

hypotensive

high O2 requirement

s/p CABG

h/h?

The first three are, by themselves, not indicators for red cell transfusion.

Hypotension is not necessarily hypovolemia.

High o2 requirement- indirectly related but there are 4 main causes of hypoxemia to address first.

CABG pts have been shown to do better at 5 yrs out when they do NOT get transfused.

h/h----> 9/27.

Ok I’m playing in the big kids field now but I’m gonna give it a shot. Be kind I’m only a lowly paramedic playing wanta be PA.

Questions;

What’s his ejection fraction?

Are we monitoring central venous pressures, if so what are they?

Urine output? (Ins and outs)

All good questions.

Preop EF was 60%

CVP is 12.

Pt also has a swan ganz catheter; pulmonary artery pressures are 40/20.

Urine output 700 over last 8 hrs.

"cata"?

Catecholamines... The major catecholamines are dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine (which used to be called adrenalin). Catecholamines increase the B/P by a few different mechanisms, and if abused/improperly administered severely hinders the adrenal-axis to the point of dependence upon exdogenous adrenal supplementation.

ABs/BBs for their "anti-Adrenergic" effect to decrease O2 demand/vaso-constriction...

This was where MY mind went... with the caveat that I haven't worked with straight up Cardiology/Cardiac Surgery patients since 2005...:)

All good questions.

Preop EF was 60%

CVP is 12.

Pt also has a swan ganz catheter; pulmonary artery pressures are 40/20.

In recap, what we have so far is an increased PAP/CVP. Urine output is good, at just under 90 ccs/hour, so the kidneys appear to be well perfused. I would have to put pulmonary hypertension high on my list, but also would like to know the cardiac output, which would be easy to determine with the swan ganz hooked up to the CO computer.

Also, a portable AP chest would be useful here.

High o2 requirement- indirectly related but there are 4 main causes of hypoxemia to address first.
I'm thinking:

I. Hypoventilation: Do we have a room air sat? ABG? What's this guy's neuro status- is he breathing adequately?

II. Physiologic shunt: Pulmonary edema, pneumonia, pneumo... Do we have a CXR? What are breath sounds like? Vitals- any fever?

III. V/Q abnormality: PE; Cough? CP? D-dimer isn't useful in a guy this age and so soon after the CABG...?

-How does he look?

-What are his vital trends?

-What are his CBC/CMP trends?

I'm outta my league, but Critical Care interests me... I'm kind of reaching

In recap, what we have so far is an increased PAP/CVP. Urine output is good, at just under 90 ccs/hour, so the kidneys appear to be well perfused. I would have to put pulmonary hypertension high on my list, but also would like to know the cardiac output, which would be easy to determine with the swan ganz hooked up to the CO computer.

Also, a portable AP chest would be useful here.

Cardiac Index 2.4

CXR bilateral pulm congestion/small effusions, hilar prominence, RML atelectasis

no PTX, mediastinal width WNL for postop and portable film

Catecholamines... The major catecholamines are dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine (which used to be called adrenalin). Catecholamines increase the B/P by a few different mechanisms, and if abused/improperly administered severely hinders the adrenal-axis to the point of dependence upon exdogenous adrenal supplementation.

ABs/BBs for their "anti-Adrenergic" effect to decrease O2 demand/vaso-constriction...

This was where MY mind went... with the caveat that I haven't worked with straight up Cardiology/Cardiac Surgery patients since 2005...:)

I read you.

In the setting where you haven't ruled out LV failure, negative inotropes like BBs can be deletrious.

Pure afterload reducing agents are a different story......

As a side question the students can name some of these drugs......:D

All good questions.

and he weighs what?

if he is a big dude this is low....and he might still be dry...but I'm guessing you guys adequately fluid resuscitated him before starting 2 pressors(fill the pump before you wip it...)

(side note: "urine output is the poor mans cvp reading...."...wish I came up with that but it's from the fccs course.....). in most settings outside the icu you won't have the advantage of a cvp reading but you can put in a foley anywhere...some ems systems even have medics put them in enroute and start recording Urine output in the prehospital environment.

Andersen- anyone check a serum lactate level? and I assume an abg was done as mentioned above?

With PA and CVP pressures such as that he may be either overloaded or poor ventricular function. CI is slightly low (though my memory may be wrong) so I want to go with the pump. Consider dobutamine (though increase myocardial O2 demand) or primacor (risk of arrhythmias)? Nesitiride may also be useful if it is overload. I also think I would stop the epi due to it's broad receptor sites. Neo can stay for the time being.

Side answer: nipride

As others have stated, be gentle. Just a lowly RN here.

What is the Post-OP EF...???

Yes, negative inotropes like BBs can be deletrious... but last I practiced Cardiology (2005)...

BBs WERE indicated in "stable" LV failure/Stable HF and proven to help the overall EF and decrease O2 demand.

But I'll take your word for it ... that this is NOT the answer you were looking for...;)

I'm thinking:

I. Hypoventilation: Do we have a room air sat? ABG? What's this guy's neuro status- is he breathing adequately?

No room air sat, but why get one if he is satting low 90s on NRB...what is a RA sat going to tell you?

Neuro intact no deficit.

Good respiratory mechanics.

II. Physiologic shunt: Pulmonary edema, pneumonia, pneumo... Do we have a CXR? What are breath sounds like? Vitals- any fever?

CXR results in previous post.

Clear anteriorly, diminished bases, no wheeze/rhonchi.

Afebrile.

III. V/Q abnormality: PE; Cough? CP? D-dimer isn't useful in a guy this age and so soon after the CABG...?

No cough.

PE workup not pursued (typically uncommon this early postop in CABG pts).

-How does he look?

Best question yet. He is unlabored but RR is around 20. He says he is comfortable with a little sternal pain.

-What are his vital trends?

Stable with drug support.

-What are his CBC/CMP trends?

Hct stable high 20s.

Creat 0.7 and stable.

Replacing K.

I'm outta my league, but Critical Care interests me... I'm kind of reaching

Not out of your league. Good questions.

and he weighs what?

if he is a big dude this is low....and he might still be dry...but I'm guessing you guys adequately fluid resuscitated him before starting 2 pressors(fill the pump before you wip it...)

(side note: "urine output is the poor mans cvp reading...."...wish I came up with that but it's from the fccs course.....). in most settings outside the icu you won't have the advantage of a cvp reading but you can put in a foley anywhere...some ems systems even have medics put them in enroute and start recording Urine output in the prehospital environment.

Andersen- anyone check a serum lactate level? and I assume an abg was done as mentioned above?

83 kg.

PAD is 20 so you could say full enough.

"urine output is the poor mans cvp reading...."..........I like "The foley catheter is better than the PA catheter". If they pee, you're in good shape most of the time.

ABG 7.44/37/76

Last lactate 1.5

With PA and CVP pressures such as that he may be either overloaded or poor ventricular function. CI is slightly low (though my memory may be wrong) so I want to go with the pump. Consider dobutamine (though increase myocardial O2 demand) or primacor (risk of arrhythmias)? Nesitiride may also be useful if it is overload. I also think I would stop the epi due to it's broad receptor sites. Neo can stay for the time being.

Side answer: nipride

As others have stated, be gentle. Just a lowly RN here.

CI 2.4 is good for postop

Plus he has decent UOP

Both dobut and milrinone inc arrhythmia risk....do we even know what the rhythm is?

Epi- what's wrong with broad receptor activity?

Neo- if you're worried about LV function phenylephrine is the wrong drug- it's pure afterload increase.

Nipride- potent vasodilator- do we want that on someone who is pressor dependent?

What is the Post-OP EF...???

Yes, negative inotropes like BBs can be deletrious... but last I practiced Cardiology (2005)...

BBs WERE indicated in "stable" LV failure/Stable HF and proven to help the overall EF and decrease O2 demand.

But I'll take your word for it ... that this is NOT the answer you were looking for...;)

EF was 50% by TEE in the OR.

You're spot on about BB in CHF- carvedilol is a standard agent.

But right, not in unstable situations.

Archived