Surgery....

Has anyone else had to deal with a CFA/surg tech that thinks they are a surgeon? This individual hates PAs because we are taking over the "first assisting" duties. She tries to pimp me and won't let me do anything. It is kind of funny. I get yelled at for saying the Ureter peristalsis (just like every medical textbook on the planet says) and I get yelled at because it should be vermiculate. Just as the urologist says peristalsis, she isn't so fast to correct him.

Feeling Frustrated!

I am sorry you're having a tough time. It can be super frustrating to take criticism like that when you don't really respect the person giving it.

That said... who cares if she corrects you? If you were corrected that way by your preceptor or surgeon this would probably not be your reaction. If she's trying to pimp you, let her. It's a learning opportunity. If you recognize that she has inaccurate or bad information, you could always clarify in the presence of the surgeon. "Dr. Ureter, Cathy and I were talking earlier about the <insert surgical issue>. She clarified <insert bad information> for me. With that in mind <insert additional question with pure innocence>?" That should shut her up if she's really wrong.

Appreciate her experience for what it's worth (which is probably more than you think), and let the rest roll off your back just like you do with other unwarranted or destructive criticism.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a poor situation, but you were most likely able to suck it up through the rotation.  I haven't heard about any recent murderous rampages in an OR suite. 

Important thing to pass on to students currently going through rotations: As mentioned above, there is something to learn from everyone.  There are some crappy people out there who don't want you in their practice, their OR, their exam room, their trauma bay, and you know what?  That's ok.  I've had students I don't want within 50 yards of a patient.  What you need to remember is unless you are coming from the small minority of schools that actually pay preceptors to take you, these people are doing you a favor.  If you are having issues with the ancillary staff, bring it gently to your provider's attention if you are unable to take any more of it, but always remember that these are people that work with whatever provider you are with, day in and day out, so watch yourself. 

I highly doubt that the CFA was the one preventing you from performing procedures unfortunately.  If the provider had wanted you doing them he/she would have expressed that desire.  If they did not, that would be something to look into perhaps if you have similar problems on a later rotation.

Good luck!

Archived