When you get accepted to PA school...

• 10 months later...

Some other tips for once you're accepted:

· Check with the program to make sure the classes you’ve taken fulfill their prerequisites. Many programs require a B– or better, so don’t slack off!

·

Contact the program and ask to talk to a current student. Ask them what they recommend you study, books to buy that aren’t required, where to live if you have to move closer to the program, and all the other little tidbits that you don’t learn at orientation.

· Join SAAAPA (through the AAPA) and the PSPA or state society where your program is located. This will help keep you up to date on the regulations regarding PAs in the state. And it looks great on your resume!

· And then there’s that pesky issue of how to pay for it

- PSPA scholarships www.pspa.net/studaff.htm

- AAPA scholarships www.aapa.org/paf/pafprog.html#ASP

- National Health Service Corps http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/about/

- Uniformed Public Health Service http://www.usphs.gov/html/jobs.html

- Wells Fargo has loans specifically for students in medical professions: www.wellsfargo.com/student/loans/graduate/medalter

- Many states have repayment programs for working in rural areas after graduation. Here are some local ones:

PA www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/health/CWP/view.asp?A =169&QUESTION_ID=204515

WV www.wvdhhr.org/wvdor/financial%5Fprograms.htm

VA www.vdh.virginia.gov/ppova/loan.htm

And when the font changes to greek....

- Contact the program and ask to talk to a current student. Ask them what they recommend you study in advance, books to buy that aren't required, where to live if you have to move closer to the program, and all the other little tidbits that you don't learn at orientation.

- Join SAAAPA (through the American Association of Physician Assistants, www.aapa.org) and the state society where your program is located. This will keep you up to date on the regulations regarding PAs in your state. And it looks great on your resume!

- And then there’s that pesky issue of how to pay for it....

• 9 months later...
Guest hlgerstl
Remember, when you get accepted to PA school, you can check the PA Student Forum under the Class section and have your class entered. That way, you can interact with your future classmates. :D

How exactly do I do this?? I tried to figure it out myself, but maybe I am just having a blonde moment.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
How exactly do I do this?? I tried to figure it out myself, but maybe I am just having a blonde moment.

Me too on that one! I'm trying to figure out where to find this class section in the PA Student Forum and I just can't find it. Can anybody point me in the right direction on how to enter my class? hlgerstl... you've probably already graduated PA school by now! :D

Edited by ArmyMatt
spelling

Is your school listed in the pre PA section? If not PM (send a message) to a moderator to add the new school.

Then go in there and post a new thread with Class of...whatever 2010, 2011...etc let your classmates know about this forum and those possible students you meet in interviews etc...

And LOL about the comment for hlgerstl!! from 2006...yeah probably just graduated!!! too funny!

Is your school listed in the pre PA section? If not PM (send a message) to a moderator to add the new school.

Then go in there and post a new thread with Class of...whatever 2010, 2011...etc let your classmates know about this forum and those possible students you meet in interviews etc...

And LOL about the comment for hlgerstl!! from 2006...yeah probably just graduated!!! too funny!

Yeah, I actually found it. My school is in Texas, Army PA school, IPAP, but it's through University of Nebraska.... so I was looking all over for IPAP and Nebraska. Then I finally looked in Texas and found it. Duh!