Emergency Medicine in Oregon

I'm confused? How EMPAs practicing emergency medicine in Oregon when the approved core competency and medical services leaves out so many skills required. Here are a few I have noticed. Do you have to apply for each one individually? In Montana PAs are allowed to practice under the supervising physician's scope of practice as long as they feel comfortable with it.

Central line placement

Dislocation reduction management

Extensor tendon repair

Fracture Reduction

Interosseous needle placement

Lumbar puncture

Orogastric tube placement, lavage and management

Paracentesis

Procedural sedation management

Slit lamp diagnostic and rust ring removal

Tonometery, ocular

Thoracentesis

Thoracostomy tube insertion Urethral catheter placement and management

I'm confused? How EMPAs practicing emergency medicine in Oregon when the approved core competency and medical services leaves out so many skills required. Here are a few I have noticed. Do you have to apply for each one individually? In Montana PAs are allowed to practice under the supervising physician's scope of practice as long as they feel comfortable with it.

Central line placement

Dislocation reduction management

Extensor tendon repair

Fracture Reduction

Interosseous needle placement

Lumbar puncture

Orogastric tube placement, lavage and management

Paracentesis

Procedural sedation management

Slit lamp diagnostic and rust ring removal

Tonometery, ocular

Thoracentesis

Thoracostomy tube insertion Urethral catheter placement and management

I work mostly in WA but do some per diem in oregon. when I applied with the board I had to apply for each extra skill( LP's, fx reduction, slit lamp, etc). with the law in oregon that just was signed last week I think you can just get it written into your delegation of services by your sp now.

I work mostly in WA but do some per diem in oregon. when I applied with the board I had to apply for each extra skill( LP's, fx reduction, slit lamp, etc). with the law in oregon that just was signed last week I think you can just get it written into your delegation of services by your sp now.

Here seems two of the main issues that are at play. From my understanding this becomes law in a few days come August 4th.

Modernizing PA Licensure – SB 224

OSPA’s priority legislation for the 2011 Legislative Session is SB 224, to update and modernizeOregon statute relating to how physician assistants are licensed in the state. The bill proposesseveral key shifts from current law:1. Requires PAs to be licensed prior to employment.2. Establishes a practice agreement developed between the PA and supervising physicianand filed with the Oregon Medical Board, no longer requiring an approval process.

OSPA worked collaboratively with the Oregon Medical Association and Oregon Medical Boardsince late 2009 on the policy concepts and we are pleased to share that there is consensus from

both organizations on SB 224.

Here seems two of the main issues that are at play. From my understanding this becomes law in a few days come August 4th.

Modernizing PA Licensure – SB 224

OSPA’s priority legislation for the 2011 Legislative Session is SB 224, to update and modernizeOregon statute relating to how physician assistants are licensed in the state. The bill proposesseveral key shifts from current law:1. Requires PAs to be licensed prior to employment.2. Establishes a practice agreement developed between the PA and supervising physicianand filed with the Oregon Medical Board, no longer requiring an approval process.

OSPA worked collaboratively with the Oregon Medical Association and Oregon Medical Boardsince late 2009 on the policy concepts and we are pleased to share that there is consensus from

both organizations on SB 224.

Archived