New Grad with interest in URO

Guest Chicken_Little

Guest Chicken_Little

I was just browsing through the postings here, and was wondering if anyone currently practicing in Urology could give me an idea of the extent of their duties in clinic. I have an interest in urology and I am currently doing my last rotation with a private Urology practice, who had PA's in the past, however I feel like the possibilities for surgical assist/TRUS BX etc are a bit limited. Are those currently in practice able to do these types of procedures and how are you able to establish your own pts? I am just curious. I haven't been offered a job there, but there has been talk about a possible position and I suppose any advice about venturing into this specialty would be of help. Also, I've heard of postgrad programs for urology, would you recommend it and where? thanks!!!

-Christina

Christina,

I am recent graduate, who is employed in Urology. I work on a hospital service, typical day involves managing the inpatients, pre/post ops, seeing consults ED/Inpatient, assisting in surgeries as needed among other things. If you are truly interested in urology. I would recommend finding a hospital job before you work in an office because that is where you will really learn urology, this was the advice I was given in PA school by many Urology PA's and after working now I can firmly say it was good advice. I believe there is one post grad program for Urology just from memory, but really a good hospital job will give you a similiar outcome. Good luck

• 1 month later...

Hi Christina -

I work in a clinic 8-5, and for billing reasons, my docs like to keep the procedures to themselves, which can make clinic a little mind-numbing after a while. I don't do cystos or biopsies. I see preop/postop patients, regular follow ups, add ons for stones or UTIs, catheter changes, voiding trials, etc. I don't think every clinic may be like this, but where I work, the docs "eat what they kill," so if they give up procedures to the PA, they're losing revenue. Annoying. Good luck.

• 2 years later...

I was hired as a new grad a year ago into urology. I work for 2 docs in mainly clinic with some rounding. I am able to do cystos, vasectomies, and pretty much anything the docs do in the clinic. We have ultrasound and X-ray in house as well as urodynamics. I take after hours call from patients at our clinic 2 days a week which is usually lite and call 13 weekends out of the year that is split between 9 urologists which is usu very busy. Some rounding on consults and postoperative patients. I help with the docs clinic and have my own when they are in surgery. I may start assisting in some surgeries but will remain clinic based. Hope this helps.

Archived