Congratulations, you guys! I'm Michelle, a first year student here. If you have any questions that I can answer, please feel free to let me know. You will definitely be getting more information down the road, and I'm sure that many more of my classmates/the wonderful students in the years above my class will be happy to answer questions as well. I hope that you're all celebrating this huge accomplishment! Looking forward to meeting you next year -- it will go by faster than you think :)

Thank you, Michelle!

I did have one question off the bat. I remember during the campus tour, my tour guide mentioned that there was student housing at Harkness(?) Hall. Is there a deadline to apply for student housing for next year?

Also, for everyone else, I began a Facebook group for the class of 2018. Here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/560585530757132/

Great question! According to one of my classmates who lives there, the applications for student housing at Harkness opens on April 1st. You will definitely get more information on that down the road, so rest assured that you're nowhere near missing the deadline! If it's something you are considering and have more questions about, I can definitely put you in touch with said classmate :) Again, more information to come!

Thank you, Michelle!

I did have one question off the bat. I remember during the campus tour, my tour guide mentioned that there was student housing at Harkness(?) Hall. Is there a deadline to apply for student housing for next year?

Also, for everyone else, I began a Facebook group for the class of 2018. Here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/560585530757132/

Great question! According to one of my classmates who lives there, the applications for student housing at Harkness opens on April 1st. You will definitely get more information on that down the road, so rest assured that you're nowhere near missing the deadline! If it's something you are considering and have more questions about, I can definitely put you in touch with said classmate :) Again, more information to come!

Thank you for the info, Michelle! 

Sure thing, Scott -- I'll give her your email address and ask her to contact you when she has some free time.

Thank you for the info, Michelle! I would like to talk to your classmate to hear about their experience living in Harkness so far. They can connect with me on the 2018 FB group or via email: skfreeberg@gmail.com

-Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great question. We are Pass/Fail, but we technically do have Honors (95-100), High Pass (90-94), Pass (75-90), and Fail (less than 75).

Honestly, though, like most PA schools, you just need to pass. No one knows where you stand among this breakdown, and from what we have been told, it is not really of interest to future employers. It in no way encourages competition among the class -- my classmates are extraordinarily collaborative and supportive of one another.

So, why have this break down? I have thought about that myself! My guess is that it is a meant to be a "psychological motivator" to encourage us to study beyond the bare minimum. And, to be honest, with the amount of material our exams cover, we really do need to aim high to get good grades! There is so much material that we could be tested on, and we never know exactly what material that will be; so saying "I'm only going to learn 75% of the material" could easily land you a failing grade.

Besides being a motivating factor, your guess is as good as mine. It's a common system at many programs, but just know that it REALLY doesn't matter here if you are in the "high pass" or "honors" category -- you just should be passing!

Michelle,

I just have a quick question. How does Yale do grading? Is it a Honors, Pass, Fail type system or does it utilize actual grades? 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived