Job outlook for new recent PA graduates in Illinois

It's been a while since the last post inquiring about the IL job outlook for PA graduates, so I wanted to ask. How is the job market in 2011? Before I invest 2 1/2 years of my life into this program, I want to make sure that I'll at least have a job considering the fact that I have a family to take care of. Hearing about the difficulties of finding a job from recent PA grads in NY...it makes me wonder if it rings true here.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

If you're good, you're good....and someone will hire you. If you network on rotations (especially if you go to school in Chicago), you're bound to find something. Probably not your dream job, but you'll get your foot in the door. Besides, it's not like the job market is exactly booming right now. You have a better chance at finding a job as a PA than say a lawyer or a businessperson.

My friend works in IL. He says its fertile at the moment. He was a NY PA that moved there, apparently his license number is below 700 so I believe there's less than 700 PAs in that state, however he tells me that it is more of a NP state. But I was thinking about the move myself, the pay is the same and the cost of living is less! (from NYC to ChiTown)

It's been a while since the last post inquiring about the IL job outlook for PA graduates, so I wanted to ask. How is the job market in 2011? Before I invest 2 1/2 years of my life into this program, I want to make sure that I'll at least have a job considering the fact that I have a family to take care of. Hearing about the difficulties of finding a job from recent PA grads in NY...it makes me wonder if it rings true here.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

It depends on what you want to do, and where in Illinois you want to do it. In the city, there are some ER jobs available. In the suburbs, it's a lot of family practice and ortho jobs, and a mixture of everything the further west and south you get in the state.

Archived