General job hunting advice needed; how do I know if a place is PA friendly?

New grad here and I want to work in a teaching type of environment (looking more and more like hostpitalist), that is PA friendly. My question is, how do I find that information out?

I've been on message boards, and researching places up the wazoo, but it's difficult to get a current, accurate review. I'm also applying out of state, therefore a phone interview might be in play so I won't have the option to talk to other PA's in the setting.

However, if I am able to go in person (which I will try to do but many factors go against that), how exactly do I ask a PA what they think of their job (bc they will probably be in and around the very people they would be talking about)?

Ask for contact info for 1 or 2 current PA's and contact them outside of work. Where I work, PA's are part of the interview process so you may ask if you can get some 1:1 time with them. Probably less helpful would be to ask the physicians interview how they view PA and what their turnover rate is for PA (how many have left in the last year or so).

Also consider the type of hospital you are applying to. Obviously places that take residents and PA students are going to be more apt to teaching. Also from my experience level 1 facilities in general are very well organized and geared towards learning/ teaching. Bottom line is if you like a teaching environment go to a hospital with a lot of students. The preceptors and attendings will be geared more towards teaching and sharing info in general then other facilities

Archived