Emory PANCE review DVDs

I am contemplating buying the Emory University review course, but wanted some feedback from people who have used it. I just had a baby and need something to help me study that is conducive with a newborn! (if thats possible). Also, if anyone has the Mac accessible program for sale...I would be interested.

Thanks!!!

I just passed the PANCE recently (first time around) and I thought the Emory material was useful, I synched the lectures to my IPOD and listened to them in my car and at home. Some of the lecture topics were better than others, but overall a good overview. I still had to supplement the review course with some reading. The AAPA endorses a good review book by Zorbak. In addition, I think the best thing that I did to prepare for boards was QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS. There is a site called paeasy and you can subscribe for one or three months and it gives you practice questions (written by PA faculty). It also compares your testing wiith other people who have subscribed to site, which I thought was really cool. I didn't do a board review course, BUT if you are considering (and I know probably not with the new little one) I heard that CME Resources is great! All of my classmates who did the review course this past May in Wisconsin....which was about 12 individuals....passed. Anyway, I do QUESTIONS until you're blue in the face & read your review books, you'll rock it! Best of luck to you!

You might also want to consider investing in the Kaplan q-Bank questions. I'm not affiliated with Kaplan. I recommend them simply because they are the best prep questions I was able to find ...the review questions are very very helpful ... but keep in mind that the Kaplan questions are (perhaps) a little more detailed than the PANCE questions

here's the link to Kaplan ... .

http://www.kaptest.com/PANCE/PANCE-Prep/pance-qbank.html

Also ..... you might consider attending a review seminar, like the one offered by CME Resources - the link is below. I attended the CME Resources conference in Denver in February and found it to be informative, but also very intense - with a tremendous amount of information condensed into a short period of time. Because the information comes at you so fast, and their is no recording of the lectures, there is no way to review except ;from the notes that you take yourself. Attending their conference ended up costing me about $2000 after all was said in done (travel, hotel, tuition, etc), so I don't know if it was really a cost effective study tool. It depends on individual financial resources. My personal belief is that a thorough, repetitive review of questions like the Kaplan q-bank questions is sufficient - at least for me. I've not checked into the PAeasy questions that the other writer here has suggested so I'm unable to offer any advice about them ...

Anyway, here's the link for CME Resources

www.cmeresources.co.

Another good choice would be to use the on-line prep course developed by the University of New Jersey... I've purchased it and found it to be an excellent, less expensive alternative to the Denver course (CME Resources) ... If you go to this link, you can check out a free preview / demo of the lecture series modules by clicking the link near the center of the page ..Besides the financial savings when compared to the CME Resources Course, the benefit that I found most helpful is that, once you purchase the course, you're able to go over and over repeatedly any section module / lecture that you need to review more extensively. Also, it follows the PANCE blueprint exactly ... Here's the link

http://www.mycme.com/eproduct/5825/

You might also want to consider investing in the Kaplan q-Bank questions. I'm not affiliated with Kaplan. I recommend them simply because they are the best prep questions I was able to find ...the review questions are very very helpful ... but keep in mind that the Kaplan questions are (perhaps) a little more detailed than the PANCE questions

here's the link to Kaplan ... .

http://www.kaptest.com/PANCE/PANCE-Prep/pance-qbank.html

Also ..... you might consider attending a review seminar, like the one offered by CME Resources - the link is below. I attended the CME Resources conference in Denver in February and found it to be informative, but also very intense - with a tremendous amount of information condensed into a short period of time. Because the information comes at you so fast, and their is no recording of the lectures, there is no way to review except ;from the notes that you take yourself. Attending their conference ended up costing me about $2000 after all was said in done (travel, hotel, tuition, etc), so I don't know if it was really a cost effective study tool. It depends on individual financial resources. My personal belief is that a thorough, repetitive review of questions like the Kaplan q-bank questions is sufficient - at least for me. I've not checked into the PAeasy questions that the other writer here has suggested so I'm unable to offer any advice about them ...

Anyway, here's the link for CME Resources

www.cmeresources.co.

Another good choice would be to use the on-line prep course developed by the University of New Jersey... I've purchased it and found it to be an excellent, less expensive alternative to the Denver course (CME Resources) ... If you go to this link, you can check out a free preview / demo of the lecture series modules by clicking the link near the center of the page ..Besides the financial savings when compared to the CME Resources Course, the benefit that I found most helpful is that, once you purchase the course, you're able to go over and over repeatedly any section module / lecture that you need to review more extensively. Also, it follows the PANCE blueprint exactly ... Here's the link

http://www.mycme.com/eproduct/5825/

Do you know if University of New Jersey material is available on DVD? Also is it Mac compatible and are you able to print out the powerpoint slides? That material really looks awesome and is cheaper than Emory material! Thanks for the feedback!

The course from UMDNewJersy is not available on DVD - I've purchased it and am now using it to study ... I like it a great deal, and it is much less expensive than the Emory set ....

here's a copy of the email that I got from the Review Course Faculty member at UMDNJ..

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 1:24 PM

To: matthew.mcquillan@umdnj.edu; matthew.mcquillan@umdnj.edu

Subject: PANCE Review Course

Mr. McQuillan -

I am considering purchasing your on-line PANCE Review Course. I want to be certain that if I purchase the course now, I will be able to view and go through the lectures repeatedly over the next 3 months. In other words, I'd like to clarify that it's not a one-time only access to the lectures? or post-lecture exam questions? I don't need the CME credits associated with the tests, so I'd like to be able to access and review the test questions more that once ... Please advise.

Thanks

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi:

Yes that is correct. You can view the lectures as often as you like through the course expiration date. As far as the exam questions, Im not sure how helpful it will be for you to review them several times since doing them once makes them hard to forget. But that is of course up to you and what you think will help you. Good luck on your exam and let me know if you have any other questions.

Matt

Matthew A. McQuillan, MS, PA-C

Associate Professor

Assistant Director, Clinical Education

University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-

School of Health Related Professions

Physician Assistant Program

675 Hoes Lane

Piscataway NJ 08854

(732) 235-4445 Office

(732) 235-4820 Fax

email: mcquilla@umdnj.edu

The UNJ not available on DVD - I've looked at the Emory DVD and I do like this one better (and it is cheaper) ... I think the material is covered in a more "PANCE relevant" manner ... but it's a personal choice ...

I've also now looked at the PAEasy site and questions, and plan to purchase them as well ... here's that link ...

http://www.paeasy.com/

The course from UMDNewJersy is not available on DVD - I've purchased it and am now using it to study ... I like it a great deal, and it is much less expensive than the Emory set ....

here's a copy of the email that I got from the Review Course Faculty member at UMDNJ..

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 1:24 PM

To: matthew.mcquillan@umdnj.edu; matthew.mcquillan@umdnj.edu

Subject: PANCE Review Course

Mr. McQuillan -

I am considering purchasing your on-line PANCE Review Course. I want to be certain that if I purchase the course now, I will be able to view and go through the lectures repeatedly over the next 3 months. In other words, I'd like to clarify that it's not a one-time only access to the lectures? or post-lecture exam questions? I don't need the CME credits associated with the tests, so I'd like to be able to access and review the test questions more that once ... Please advise.

Thanks

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi:

Yes that is correct. You can view the lectures as often as you like through the course expiration date. As far as the exam questions, Im not sure how helpful it will be for you to review them several times since doing them once makes them hard to forget. But that is of course up to you and what you think will help you. Good luck on your exam and let me know if you have any other questions.

Matt

Associate Professor

675 Hoes Lane

Piscataway NJ 08854

(732) 235-4445 Office

(732) 235-4820 Fax

Thanks for your input! One more question..does it work on Mac. I noticed that system requirements states system 8.5 or higher but excludes Mac OSX, which unfortunately I have. I just want to make sure it will work on my computer before I purchase it!

I would think it should work, but email Matthew McQuillan at UNDMJ and ask him about it ... he replied to my emailed inquiry within 24 hours ... here's his contact info:

Associate Professor

675 Hoes Lane

Piscataway NJ 08854

(732) 235-4445 Office

(732) 235-4820 Fax

the advantage of using the emory set although more expensive is that there is a dvd with no expiry date.

in purchasing datachem, exam masters, kaplan q, and PA easy...which ones would u say would be the best ones to get? obviously all would be..but there would be too many questions to complete and the cost!

please advise!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived