Frustrated about not getting reply from hospital

Hello,

I am about to start my elective rotations and I want to do all my electives in NYC. I am originally from NYC but move to Florida for PA school thinking that I will settle in FL and relocate my family.

But now I am dying to move back to NYC. My school has no connection with anyone in NYC. I previously had shadowed some PAs in a small hospital in NY but the PAs there said they cannot help since they have very limitted role in that small hospital.

I have been looking into NY Presbyterian hospital and on PA world website and contacted wherever there's job posting to ask them if they will let me do rotation and potentially hoping to get hired. But gotten no reply. I know NY Presbyterian is recently hiring a lot more PAs but I don't know whom to approach for rotation.

I am interested in all specialities, Ortho, Cardio, Neuro, Derm, GI, Primary...basically just want something that can potentially lead to a job.

I have decent 3.8 GPA from my school in FL and bilingual( fluent in both Chinese and English). I was previously a patient's advocate/translator in the NY hospital.

Anyone has any suggestion on how to approach hospital on my own to set up rotation will be appreciated. If I can't move back to NYC soon, my husband will probably divorce me soon....Help!

Hi !

I do not think I could directly answer your question (since I am about to go to PA school) but based on what you have written I am surprised to hear that landing a job is that hard especially in a large city such as NYC! Is there no agencies, etc that can help with landing such positions?

Are you allowed to choose rotations whatever State you choose to? Or is this based on what the school assigns?

Best of luck!

It all depends on each individual program. If the program allows you to find a potential elective rotation at your site of preference, I believe they will try their best to help. However, it will be very difficult/near impossible due to the fact that your school in FL has no connections/affiliations with any hospitals in NYC. Besides, there are already 18 programs in NYS, where each school is constantly trying to fight each other to get connections/affiliations with a NYC hospital. Even if they let you do rotations there, each department is going to be so saturated with residents, medical students and PA-S coming from all those medical and PA programs in NY, just to fight for one case.

• 3 years later...

Archived