PA owned Urgent Care

• 3 months later...

Hello all.

My partner and I are both PAs here in Florida. We are in our 8th year of owning, operating and expanding urgent care clinics after working ER for several years. We currently have 4 clinics throughout Central Florida and are proud to announce that we have developed a model that works and can be duplicated. For this reason we are now franchising our business which will make the process easier for a PA who wants to branch out into the wonderful world of ownership.

The past 8 years have not been easy but we are a testament that It can be done.

For more information on our franchise opportunity please visit www.ParamountUrgentCare.com

You can also reach us by emailing franchise@paramounturgentcare.com

• 1 year later...

I owned an urgenrt care/family practice for 10 years. I hated it. Dealing with employees and supervising mds was a major problem. Income kept decreasing. I couldn't even sell it cheap, let alone a hospital buy it. Too much regulation along with the medical board on me constantly. I closed it up and I'm working elsewhere. I'm working on a plan to get out of medicine altogether. To me, it's just not worth it. If you go ahead I wish you the best,

I owned an urgenrt care/family practice for 10 years. I hated it. Dealing with employees and supervising mds was a major problem. Income kept decreasing. I couldn't even sell it cheap, let alone a hospital buy it. Too much regulation along with the medical board on me constantly. I closed it up and I'm working elsewhere. I'm working on a plan to get out of medicine altogether. To me, it's just not worth it. If you go ahead I wish you the best,

Dale, 

I feel your pain. It was worth the experience, but owning a practice had a lot of frustration that I don't miss. I would consider a cash-only practice some day, but I would never, ever, ever deal with insurance companies again. It is like Alice in Wonderland and to a rational person, it can drive you insane.

• Upvote 2

I am considering my own walk-in cash minor care to serve an area where there are no other clinics.

It could be a solution to my dilemma or it could be a giant headache/nightmare.

Have to iron out all the details and make a plan and then see how to get capital, etc. 

Will read everyone's posts and blogs and YouTubes to see prior experiences and learn to avoid pitfalls.

Might be a pipe dream but I have to try..................

I am considering my own walk-in cash minor care to serve an area where there are no other clinics.

It could be a solution to my dilemma or it could be a giant headache/nightmare.

Have to iron out all the details and make a plan and then see how to get capital, etc. 

Will read everyone's posts and blogs and YouTubes to see prior experiences and learn to avoid pitfalls.

Might be a pipe dream but I have to try..................

I think I had the best gig going with a geri house call practice....  something to consider 

• Upvote 2

• 5 weeks later...

RC2- If you open your own urgent care try to do cash/Medicaid/medicare only.

I have some friends who did this(3 PAS) and they do very well. you need to learn all the ins/out of Medicaid/medicare and be willing to bill for everything you do. there is a lot of little stuff that ads up, but you have to document it and bill for it every time.

checked a pulse ox? billable

reviewed old notes? billable

suggested pneumovax to every pt> 65 who hasn't had one? etc

• Upvote 4

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/6/2017 at 2:03 PM, jmj11 said:

Dale, 

I feel your pain. It was worth the experience, but owning a practice had a lot of frustration that I don't miss. I would consider a cash-only practice some day, but I would never, ever, ever deal with insurance companies again. It is like Alice in Wonderland and to a rational person, it can drive you insane.

jmj11, 

I first read your post about getting to #6 in Seattle, and then read this thread to see this comment made 3 years later. Granted it's been 4 years on from when you made this comment, and 7+ years from when the HA clinic was pushed to #6... But curious how long you ran/owned the clinic and was insurance the biggest reason you got out of it? 

I'm kicking around the idea of running a same day family practice clinic. Kind of like UC, but without the EKGs and Imaging and onsite lab. Just routine FP stuff, UTIs, HEENT complaints, coughs, colds, pinkeye... Sports physicals.. I actually worked for Swedish inside their Walgreens clinics in the Seattle area and did this and really enjoyed it. Most enjoyable job I've had in 9 years. Super low acuity, follow up with PCP, generally nice and happy people. When chest pain or broken bones walked in they got punted to a real UC or ED. I'm no longer in Seattle, and now in UT where PAs can practice without an SP if they have more than 10k hours experience in a certain field.