Iowa: University of Dubuque

I didn't even know they were starting a program. I like the fact they break down the weight of their admission criteria (even though I don't like the way I compare to it). The pre-MPAS exam is an interesting idea to help further screen applicants for interviews. I don't recall seeing any other program do that. I'm curious what the subjects on the exam are, if you could enlighten us (without giving an unfair advantage to others).

Best of luck to you.

• 3 weeks later...

I was recently one of the first 22 prospective students to take the pre-entrance exam. They contacted us two weeks prior to the exam date and gave a broad outline of exam topics. Overall, I really enjoyed my time at the University and the faculty and staff there were very welcoming. They said we should receive results within a few weeks and that interview offers could potentially follow. 

I had the opportunity to take the pre entrance test and do an interview the next day. They allowed me to do this because I am coming from so far away. I thought that was really nice of them. The test is mostly A&P material some simple math and medical terminology. The A&P material was either you knew it or you didn't know it. It wasn't critical thinking or application style questions. I can honestly say out of all the schools I interviewed at the faculty at University of Dubuque did a wonderful job of asking questions that I felt gave them an idea of my personality. My other interviews felt rushed, they would ask about four questions then move me along. The faculty at University of Dubuque were very welcoming, made jokes, laughed during the interview, and made me feel very comfortable. The interview was a mix of standard personal questions and a few questions where they asked what you would do in a certain situation. The questions were not meant to trip you up or even make you think through ethical, or legal issues they just wanted to see how you would react to different situations. Overall it was a great experience. 

• 2 weeks later...

I also interviewed with them a couple weeks ago and had the same experience. I fell in love with the campus and the staff. Everyone there was so welcoming and friendly.

Did anyone who interviewed ask when we would hear back? I forgot to ask. The website says they'll select students in April. But I thought we might hear something before then.

I interviewed with them yesterday and they said that the earliest that they can accept students is in March after they hear back about accreditation. They did say, however, that they were planning on sending letters of interest to candidates that they hope/plan to later accept. I'm not sure exactly when that might occur though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got invited for an interview and Pre-Entrance Exam in a few weeks. Anyone else?

Anyone have an idea of how many people have been invited/interviewed?

According their website, any applicant who meets the minimum prerequisite requirements was invited to take the pre-entrance exam. In November they were up to 400 applicants, which I am sure has been surpassed since their deadline in January. Based on the results of the pre-entrance exam, top-scoring applicants were selected for interviews. I would say that it is really good that you got an interview before the pre-entrance exam, if that is the case. Good luck! 

I saw that on there website, however I'm coming from Florida so I figured that was the case. I was just wondering though (which no of us have the answer to), if they screened the out of state candidates a bit more as it is very expense to travel there for 48 hours...

I don't believe they give preference to in state residents or anything or look less upon those from other states. I am also not from Iowa and I know they also did a similar thing for another candidate that was also traveling a long distance. I think it really says a lot about the program that they are so willing to work with candidates like this. Safe travels! 

I also applied to Dubuque shortly before the deadline. I was invited to the campus for the interview and exam. I couldn't have envisioned a better interview experience, especially since this was my first! The faculty were extremely welcoming which made for a more relaxed feel, even though there were four people including the program director in the room! The test was best described as above, you either knew the answer or you didn't. I asked about applicant pool information and was informed that they had received over 500 applications to the program and extended interview/testing invitations to about 120. They are awaiting accreditation from ARC-PA before offering formal admission but from above posts they may also be sending letters to especially desirable candidates (?). Regardless, congrats to everyone who received the invitation to campus and best of luck!

• 1 month later...

Has anyone heard anything? I know they said in February that they would be notifying candidates this week or next...

I had called the Friday after the ARC-PA had met and UD said they had not heard about their accredidation status but expected to "soon". That's going on two weeks ago! The website still lists the program as a pending status as well so my assumption is that they haven't heard yet. All I know is that I haven't heard anything either so here's hoping we get some information this week!

So when I went to my interview in February, they said that they sent out maybe a handful of letters but they really stopped doing that because they kept meeting awesome applicants (that's what One of the administrators said). So I wouldn't get discouraged if you haven't received a letter. She said there were less than 5 sent out.

I hope we hear back this week. I was told the last week of March...

I haven't heard anything. I sent an email a while back and they said around now would be the earliest they thought any notifications would go out. I'm hoping that means we all will start hearing back next week. Thank you everyone for posting on here! I was getting nervous about not hearing anything, but now I'm thinking they haven't notified anyone yet. Good luck to you all! 

Archived