Navy Emergency Medicine Fellowship in San Diego

What do you know about the application process? What does the selection committee look for in an applicant? I'm starting PA school next year, and I'm wondering if there's anything specific I should be doing as a student to enhance my application, even though I won't be eligible right out of school. Thanks! 

The previous director told me you had to have an operational tour with a deployment as a PA before you would be considered.  Not sure if that's still true, but I know three guys who were selected out of the last two cycles, and it applied to all of them.

The previous director told me you had to have an operational tour with a deployment as a PA before you would be considered.  Not sure if that's still true, but I know three guys who were selected out of the last two cycles, and it applied to all of them.

This might be a dumb question (sorry, still technically a civilian) - but is there a difference between an operational tour and a regular tour? If so, what? 

Operational tour is usually with the Marines or on a ship. A "Regular tour" would be with a Naval Hospital or clinic. However, you can still be deployed while stationed at a hospital. From what I have seen in the past, most new grads (especially civilian/HSCP) almost always go to a hospital first. I don't mind going to a hospital to get a good base of medicine down, but I still want to volunteer for a deployment or two so I can potentially apply to the EM fellowship at the end of my first tour. I think you at least have to have one tour under your belt before you apply.. 

This might be a dumb question (sorry, still technically a civilian) - but is there a difference between an operational tour and a regular tour? If so, what? 

Yes, an operational tour (aka "sea duty") is one with the operational forces of the Navy or Marine Corps, versus working at a hospital or clinic ("shore duty").  What I've always heard is that direct-entry PA's (i.e., those that attend a civilian PA school before commissioning) usually go to shore commands first.  I went to IPAP (the military PA school) and was a prior corpsman with 10 years enlisted service, and went to sea duty right out of school (although I had many classmates who did not).  I'm not sure that there's a hard and fast rule per se, but in general as a direct-entry PA I would not expect an operational billet right away.

• 3 months later...

K...,

I am the current Director of the Navy Emergency Medicine Physician Assistant Fellowship. I can answer any question you have regarding this program.

Very respectfully,

Shawn Ruppert, PA-C

NMCSD Emergency Department

Director, EMPA Fellowship

EMPAFellow@gmail.com

Thanks for taking our questions! I would like to know the average amount of time in service one has to complete in order to be competitive for the fellowship. Do you have to fulfill an operational billet first? After the fellowship, are you guaranteed to placed in MTF EMs? What MTFs will be available for EM PAs? Thanks in advance!  

Archived