I'm a recent grad and am looking for my first job. One place called and asked me if I had my letters of recommendations ready. She said "Just for future, you should have these on hand." This caught me off guard. Should I have these done before even applying for any jobs? Should the letters of recommendation be generalized or specific to the job I am applying for? Does this mean I have to ask my references for new letters of recommendations for every job I apply for? Any input is appreciated! Thank you!  

I'm a recent grad and am looking for my first job. One place called and asked me if I had my letters of recommendations ready. She said "Just for future, you should have these on hand." This caught me off guard. Should I have these done before even applying for any jobs? Should the letters of recommendation be generalized or specific to the job I am applying for? Does this mean I have to ask my references for new letters of recommendations for every job I apply for? Any input is appreciated! Thank you!  

This isn't the norm in my experience. You list references and they contact them if they desire. A LOR can be faked and have a date on them so they have a shelf life. The best references are current. It would give me pause if my potential future employer really thought that was how things are supposed to be.

Nope, that's not the norm.  I just went through this and interviewed at multiple places.  All of them just wanted contact info to give them a call.  Having a references document ready to be sent is a good idea but I wouldn't send it until asked.  None of the places even asked me for my references until I had gone through 1-2 phone interviews and they wanted me to come out for a site visit.

I can understand what various issues you face during jobs in various speciality.As I am part of recruiting firm I am here to suggest you some points.Please go through it will definitely help you in many ways.I have my own job portal regarding medical career go through it once and see all steps of applying jobs .This whole process takes place online you don't need to go anywhere it can consume your time in best way.Read more about it at doctor jobs .

Traditionally, you list references or list "references on request" on your CV when you apply for jobs. I recommend the latter; you apply for way more jobs than you end up interested in. Then you can alert your references when to expect a call.

A generic letter of recommendation is not very useful. It doesn't let the hiring manager ask the questions he or she is interested in, given the particulars of the job for which the applicant is being considered.

Archived