For PAs making >130k/yr

This is pretty easy, but making that much money will not necessarily make you happy.   There are many other factors. 

Be a PA Program director with lots of experience in PA faculty roles and accreditation.    be seen as a rising star in the profession.   Usually requires a doctoral degree or one on the way, but there are some exceptions for exceptional people.  Salaries are now up to $150K routinely. 

Be a very established PA in Emergency Medicine, CV surgery, ortho surgery, or derm.   That means ten years of experience, full scope of practice in the specialty, and possibly willing to work in geographic areas others are not.   Work hours that others will not work and work many hours routinely.  Get your CAQ if possible.  Western regions are higher but so is cost of living. 

a member sent me this to post - did not want it associated with their account

New England

$160k+/yr

1/2 time correctional job - filled in with a part time IM job

on call 24x7x365 except for vacations - spend about 40 hours a week in clinical and 10 hours in admin

a member sent me this to post - did not want it associated with their account

New England

$160k+/yr

1/2 time correctional job - filled in with a part time IM job

on call 24x7x365 except for vacations - spend about 40 hours a week in clinical and 10 hours in admin

24/7 call?! So is this normally 50hrs/wk? What do you think ventana? Is 130k+ reasonable or does one have to move to a remote village in Alaska?

I made over $130K in Ortho in the Pacific Northwest but I had zero control over my schedule and my doc was like having a second spouse.

In the end it wasn't worth it.

I couldn't take off to see my kids' school stuff and I was on call every 5th weekend and at least one night a week and OR days could run till 7 pm or later depending.

Doc was super moody and infallible. In his vocabulary - the words "thank you", "I'm sorry" and "you were right" did not exist - ever.

Taking a vacation was nearly impossible unless it matched the surgeon's schedule.

It is never all about money. It is about quality, quantity and feeling good about what you do.

Money can't buy you happiness - (yes, it CAN buy a boat) - being balanced on a daily basis is more important.

My very old 2 cents…..

agree, it's not about the money, it's about the job satisfaction. last time I interviewed for a per diem position we didn't even talk money. I figured they would pay me what I'm worth. they did. I would have worked for 1/2 as much. the job is that good. now I am just trying to work less. I know it means less money but that's ok at this point.

What do you do? Emergency Medicine

What region of the US are you in? Mid Atlantic

How long did it take you to get there? 5-6 years

Could you describe your hours, work load, and scope of practice? 40 hours, I see almost all comers to a rural ED. Afib with RVR, ACS, Weak/dizzy 90 YO women from the nursing (mandatory at least once a shift). Just me and a physician.

What do you do? internal medicine and part time ortho

What region of the US are you in? NYC

How long did it take you to get there? 3 years

Could you describe your hours, work load, and scope of practice? i work my full 3- 12 hour shift at my regulr IM job.  And about one shift part time at a clinic. So im basiclly working 2 jobs.  Work is tough,  Im usually working the shift that nobody wants, meaning weekend and holidays.  Sometimes Im doing the job of 2 PAs and sometimes im the PA+RN+RN assistant + transported/janitor too. 

Solo coverage rural EM/hospitalist

Northern mountain west

7 years PA all in rural EM/hospital. 10 years prior paramedic

full scope, there's only one provider on shift at any given time.  

Currently work 268h/month between 2 jobs. Which equates to 12 days/month.

very flexible schedule.  

268 hrs month! all 24s I assume.

I used to do 10 x 24/mo as a medic and pick up a few extra (like 2/mo) for 288, so worked those hours back in the day (1992-1996), but not since. I work mostly 12s with 1-2 24s/month now. most months 180+/- 10 hrs. many months(like 4/yr) 220, rarely(like 1 month/yr) 240 hrs. The last time I did that was brutal a few months ago. 20 x 12 hrs plus a senior-level course in my doctoral program. I was a bear to live and work with. had some really ugly turn arounds like 24 hr shift, off at 8 am, 12 hr shift starting at 11 am 2 hrs and 45 min away followed by 3 more days of busy 12s. totally brutal. not worth it. trying to ingratiate myself at rural site to hopefully get future full time job. I never tell them no and probably should occasionally.

Franchise Urgent Care. 36 hr/wk, no call, no nights, no weekends. $125K/yr base + RVU-based bonus. Plus I still moonlight at two ER's for $65-$85/hr.

Where are you located?  What franchise???  Sign me up!!!!!!  Is this a good job for retirement years????

I am in New England.

I was in the ER for years and loved so much about it. Look, nobody who loves EM went into it with big dreams of spending their days swabbing for strep and putting air casts on sprained ankles, so UC is far from a dream job medicine-wise.

But I'm old, I'm tired, I have kids, and I needed less stress in my life. I get my very occasional kicks from a per diem ER shift.

I was talking to someone who may be interviewing for a job opportunity in California (Hollister) for an occ med/UC job that pays even more. $75/hr, Mon-Fri 9-6, single coverage by PA. So by my calculations, $75 x 45 hr/wk x 52 wks = mucho dinero ($175,500)

The smaller private UC clinics make money. They only take paying customers (no EMTALA), and have contracts to provide occ med to big companies. And the job itself is not sexy so they make up for it by paying well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you two ladies.  For those of us in the twilight years of our careers snot and cough clinics are not so bad.  M-F w/o call, nights, holidays, or weekends and you have no foreseeable expenses (house paid for, two later model cars with only one note, and sole child now out of college w/o debt) these can be quite attractive.  I'm not seeing the same income level but I'm also in a low cost living expenses state as well.  Work 6.5 more years and sack the majority of income into our 457b accounts and take advantage of our pensions.  Once retired, figure out where to lay down roots (thanks HGTV Hawaii Life and House Hunters International) and live off pensions while paying cash for last residence.

Hollister is lower cost than some other areas of CA - similar to the cost of living in greater Boston where I am.

I agree, money is not everything, but that's what the OP is asking about so that's where our answers are.

In my case, money was the bonus. The low stress, regular schedule, and pleasant work environment were the motivating factor for my switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solo em pa

pacific NW

20 years (29 if you count prior hce)

180-220 hrs/mo., full scope em at rural, critical access hospitals. prefer high acuity/low volume settings now.

how do you work that many hours and stay sane? lol. If I work 180 per month I'm exhausted. 160 is my preference. Am I just a woose?  I see Medium to high acuity, an average 2 patients per hour, On a slow day maybe 1.5. What do you consider low volume?

What do you do? EM

What region of the US are you in? Southeast

How long did it take you to get there? I was a new grad.

Could you describe your hours, work load, and scope of practice? I have a full time job and prn job. 10 and 12 hour shifts. I work 160-180ish  hours per month (depending on how many prn shifts I pick up). I see about 2 patients per hour. Scope of practice - Anything I feel comfortable doing. Our physicians let us see any type of patient we want, and do any procedure we are able to do.

Archived