There must be some key piece of information that I'm not understanding

I start my PA program in January. I recently received the financial aid award letter for the 2016 year and I was awarded 20,500, 10k per semester. Being that the tuition alone is 10k, how are you guys affording PA school? I see a lot of comments saying you rely solely on federal financial aid, but with 20,500 being the yearly cap on the unsubsidized loans I don't understand how this could be possible.

If you have to borrow for all of your costs, in addition to the Direct Loans for tuition and fees (less their loan fee), there are also GradPlus loans - your school's financial advising should be able to provide additional info & guidance - and from there I think it's private loans.  I am taking Direct Loans for tuition and fees, but paying for my living expenses so I can't speak from experience; I only looked into it so I knew my options.  

The 20,500 is the cap for Stafford loans.  You can apply for GradPLUS loans to finish meeting your COA.  That's how most/ a lot of us are doing it.  Just know that the GradPLUS have higher interest rates, higher loan origination fees, and are dependent on credit scores (I think?) - but you've got to pay rent somehow.

As far as I know, you can't do GradPLUS AND private loans, at least our school's loan forms state you opt for one or the other.

Archived