Accrued 2000 hours hce as emt... Should I continue? Big decision.

I've spent the last year working as an EMT doing IFT work. I've accrued 2000 hours thus far. Recently I've been offered a great job doing marketing which was my past career before deciding to become a PA.

My question is whether to take the job or continue accruing hce hours. The problem is I have financial obligations and the marketing job would help Immensely. I'm torn on the decision. Will adcoms look unfavorable on this? What would you do? Also I'm at an age where I'd like to move out of my parents house. The marketing job will allow this. Should I continue one more year living like a hobo for better hce hours for my app? Thanks guys.

i will have a 3.0 - 3.1 cumulative GPA and a 3.9 science GPA at time of application. Also planning on taking GRE.

Take the job that pays. If you want, do some EMT stuff on the side to keep your skills up.

Getting ready to go to PA school does not imply taking a vow of poverty (though sometimes it might seem that way!)

Do what's right for you; the rest will generally work out fine.

I agree with you Rev Ronin. 911 is definitely better. That's another reason why i'm torn. Yes, i have 2000 EMT hours but their IFT. I'd love to go 911 now or become an ER tech but I simply have bills to pay. I suppose I'll just give some of the schools a call. Thanks guys.

• Administrator

I suppose I'm saying that if you've got 2,000 hours of so-so experience already, getting another 2,000 is not going to boost your application as much as an equivalent amount of time in a better HCE situation would, so you can limit your regrets for not getting more HCE a bit.

In other words...

2000 IFT + 2000 911  > 4000 IFT > 2000 IFT

Always remember, too, HCE accumulates but GPA averages!

OP, can you take the marketing job and go PRN or part time for EMT?  Yea, it's a lot of work but it would allow you to make the money you need for life but continue to accrue HCE (perhaps even 911/ER HCE).

Personally that's the route I'd go.  Of course, if you have classes to take still that might change things.  But 1 full time job + either part time or PRN should be an option.  If you find it's too much, then let go of the HCE job.

Guest thatgirlonabike

I have to disagree that IFT work isn't good HCE.  You learn a lot of about chronic disease processes, you learn how to take a good history and reliable set of vitals, you learn how to communicate with patients and their families.  And you get to do all of this in a low key, lower stress environment than a 911 service.  I learned an incredible amount about dialysis, hospice and got to help with many wound care procedures at doctor's offices.  I don't know a good answer to your questions I don't want  you leaving your IFT job thinking that you haven't had good HCE.

Archived