Working full-time and getting HCE elsewhere?

Does anybody have any advice on getting HCE while also working a different full time job? I've been looking for blogs of other PA journeys but most of them seem to be from people having worked in hospitals during college then going straight to PA school.

I am a high school biology teacher so I have the luxury of summers off but I'm sure that would take years to get all my HCE in if I only worked in summers, plus I'm not sure who would hire me for only two months at a time.

I am really just looking for advice, similar stories, or anything of the like. Thank you!

P.S. This summer I'm getting my CNA then most likely doing Patient Care Tech right after.

Get a per diem job and do 1-3 shifts/month. I'm not in this position but I've held a PRN job and it worked out because I'm a full-time student (also have another pt job)...so 2 jobs and full-time student.

I did about 20-30 hours/week during the summer then cut back significantly to 6 hrs/week with my prn position once school started. Now I only have my regular pt job.

Hey there, I'm in the same situation too so I'm curious if anyone can give us more pointers.  I'm a business major so I'm attending school full time during the week for prerequisites and I work full time on the later half of the week (Friday-Monday).  I don't have any HCE right now but I took the advice of many on here with the PRN or Per diem jobs...I have 4 applications pending for various per diem jobs that I hope to get one and then work that in between school and regular work.  It means 0 social life and personal life, but this is my goal, short term pain, long term gain.

Depending on the state you're in, volunteer EMS. If you have phlebotomy, red cross blood drives on Saturdays. While paid HCE/PCE is preferred, and PCE is the preference, volunteer HCE as a hospital "candy striper" is possible. Check with the programs you are interested in and if they take unpaid hours of experience. If they do, the sky's the limit. Maybe CNA at a free clinic a few hours every weekend.

You have a common issue. In my case, I kept my full-time job right up until the month before PA school started. I got my experience as an EMT and later as a paramedic in a part-time paid position with a 9-1-1 service. I worked when I could, given that I had a job and had prerequisites to take. One of my PA school classmates was a former teacher and I think he did his like you plan to do yours.

What you are trying to do is doable, and I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks so much everybody! I guess PRN really is my only option but hopefully I will be able to find a job! The main thing is doing my pre-reqs I didn't get during undergrad during the school year and then working PRN the next year and hopefully I'll have everything done within 2 years. Thanks again.

I was in a similar situation as you - full time Mon- Fri job and trying to figure out the best path to get that tricky PCE. Here is what I did:

I got my CCMA (through the NHA). It is about a 6 minto program that I went to 2x/week from 6-10pm after work got out. Yes, it was a long 6 months but after that I am qualified to work as a PCT, CNA, aaaand CMA, so it opens up more options for you than going down either of those other training paths first instead.

Next, I got in touch with my closest "flying sams" group. They are a volunteer group that does short term medical missions in rural areas. Many times they take weekend trips, so you can squeeze that in while your are on the school year. During summer, many medical missions go to places like Africa and south or central America for months at a time. Save up to go on one of those trips and you'll log countless pt care hours and end up with amazing experiences to write about during your applications. Finally, once you have your CMA,find a local community healthcare outreach group to volunteer with. Again, just another way to get those PCE and diversify your applicant profile. I am not saying it's a "quick fix", it took me about 2 full years to go completely down that path, but even the journey itself is awesome, and it turns you into the kind of applicant that schools love to see. Feel free to PM me with more questions if you like, and good luck!

-from one FT business gal/CMA in my free time/PA hopeful!

I've been in the same boat for a few months now and with my work and school schedule I only have one real day of availability so I couldn't find anything PRN. I finally decided to bite the bullet and quit my job to work as a PCT full time. I'm starting in a couple of weeks now. Obviously, the money is pretty bad but I have been working to cut out any unnecessary expenses so that I can make it work. Overtime also appears to be readily available so that should help as well.

Archived