Has anyone heard of EMA Advanced Practice Provider Academy???

Hey Everyone,

I was recently contacted my Emergent Medical Associates about a training academy for new grads. It's a 12 month contract, 1099 position, $60hr for first 3 months, $65hr the remaining 9 months, and then possible hire after the first year. You work 8-12 shifts per month, 8-12 hour shifts. They provide a didactic component through Emergency Medicine Boot Camp with 3 unit assessments. They pay for the malpractice, but nothing else. They also require you to establish an LLC for lawsuit reasons. I'm just curious if anyone has heard about this program or if this is a good program to start training/experience in the ED. Thanks!

I got a weird vibe from the nickel and diming they seemed to be doing- $75 per hour fee if support staff needs to help you find coverage for a shift, no reimbursment for hospital credentialing fees, 1099 status etc. But the ED experience you get all depends on the hospital you are at and the patient population that frequents it...

• 4 months later...

What makes you say that?  I ask because it also sounds like they are paying you a decent salary ("normal PA salary" as opposed to around 55k for residency program), while training you in an ED with hands on experience

True.

I was just looking at it as a "too good to be true" situation. But it actually is intriguing.

I will defer to the EM experts on this forum.

Very familiar with EMA. A friend from my school is in the group in Jersey...went to the four day academy and said it was pretty helpful. Lots of procedure workshops and helpful lectures. Only appropriate for new grads, though. Nothing really useful unless you're new to EM. I get the feeling that they are underpaid and overworked over there. My friend is in NJ and the pay isn't on par cost of living there ... Maybe because they are super saturated with PAs over there. They are more interested in paying what they think the PAs are worth in terms of their hospital's bottom line than offering market rate pay. Makes sense for them, but I think they're gonna lose a lot of good providers because people can get paid way more elsewhere. I think 60 dollars as an independent contractor is low even as a new grad because you have to pay your benefits and taxes... Plus the LLC thing is odd. Pay aside though, I've heard that they're very into PAs and want to help their new grads grow.

• 4 weeks later...

Took all three phases of the ACEP/SEMPA EM Academy. I found it useful and a good refresher. In no way is it a replacement for fellowship/residency but is a good stopgap especially for PAs who have been out practicing for a year or two. 

I am familiar with EMA. They are smaller than other ER groups in California but has a good infrastructure. Many USC grads.The 1099 is typical and it's up to you and your financial needs if that is more beneficial or if employment with a W2 provides more bang for the buck (personally I do both). The EMA training academy is not a formal residency nor was it meant to be one. It is much more informal: no clinical practicum, grand rounds, M&M.

Assuming you are in California, If you want formal training I would recommend EM PA residency at UCSF-Fresno, Arrowhead Regional, or Kaweah Delta.

Hope that helps.

Link to the Academy: http://www.acep.org/appa/

Link to CEP/Arrowhead Regional & Kaweah Delta: http://www.cepamerica.com/careers/pas-nps/emergency-medicine

Link to UCSF-Fresno residency: http://www.fresno.ucsf.edu/em/pa/

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I was offered a position with EMA recently as well for a position in Los Angeles. EMA is no longer an independent contractor. They have offered me the following employee package, please let me know what you guys think. 

$55/hr for first 3 months.

$60/hr for the rest of first year

Then pay increases in year 2 to whatever the going rate of PAs at that hospital is. 

Benefits:

- up to Silver HMO level – can buy more coverage if needed

- Dental PPO

- Vision

- Basic life 50K of guaranteed coverage

- Disability – employer pay for short term

- PTO = 10 days, includes 3 days sick time

- 3% safe harbor after 12 months

- Malpractice 100% cover. (not sure about tail coverage) 

+/- relocation stipend. He's finding out for me right now. 

They said that the minimal hours for full time status is 1200 hrs per year. This only equals to about 100 hrs per month. I asked for more guaranteed hours and he said it would not be a problem and will put that in the terms of engagement letter.

So with this new employee model, would you say EMA is a good option? It allows ER experience for new graduate but still has that academic component. The academic component like mentioned above still includes 3 unit assessments. Basically it's just a bunch of pre-made lectures to help you review and you review it at your own pace. 

I would appreciate any thoughts and feedback. Thank you! 

• 6 months later...

What makes you say that?  I ask because it also sounds like they are paying you a decent salary ("normal PA salary" as opposed to around 55k for residency program), while training you in an ED with hands on experience

for what it's worth, $55.hr in a 1099 contract with no benefits is NOT a decent "normal PA slary"

You are paying 15% payroll tax versus 7.5%, no health insurance, no PTO, no retirement.  The general consensus is that you need a 25-30% increase in wages to come out equal to a full time, benefitted W2 wage.  

In other words they would need to be paying you close to $72/hr as a 1099 to be the functional equivalent of a $55/hr full time benefitted position.  If the post at the bottom of the page is accurate that it is no long a contract company then you can argue this is a better plan at the $55/hr rate.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived