IM Offer-New Grad

I just received a new offer for an internal medicine position and I'm not sure if it's good or not. Here it is:

-85k salary, possible bonus but not stated in contract. Employees state that he always gives one, but I don't count it since it's not guaranteed in the contract.

-$5k sign on bonus

-Pays for Health Insurance, HMO, no deductible/No dental coverage

-Pays Malpractice/No tail coverage

-20 days PTO, 5 days for CME, 7 paid holidays

-$2000 towards CME's

-IRA, 3% match

-Pays for all licensing fees

-Monday-Friday 9-6pm, no weekends

-Have to give 90 day notice before termination

-Pays for any educational resource I request, available for teaching, and always in the office to help. It really is a great environments. He always is taking his current PA to CME conferences and really believes in promoting growth and education. There is only 1 physician, 1 full-time PA, and 1 part-time PA. 

I've been reading through the forums and have found some great advice, but any extra tips would be much appreciated. 

Thank you!

Sounds like you have hit all the important points.  In my opinion the retirement could use a little bit of work, and I would consider countering with 90-92.5k.

Any idea of the onboarding process?  # of patients he wants you to be seeing per day off the get go etc.?

Otherwise looks great benefit wise!

cinntsp: I thought the retirement is low, as well. But this is all he has to offer. 

MediMike: I already tried to counter with 90k, but he will not go up at all. He states that he starts everyone at 85k, then he increases their pay per there performance and he does annual performance reviews. He is going to have me shadow another PA for a few weeks, then he wants me seeing around 15 patients per day, but the other PA sees about 20 patients per day right now. 

Graduate111: There is no call, and it's an additional 5 days not to include PTO for CME's.

Thank you everyone for your help! 

You're contracted for 45hr/wk. Compensation is ok for 40. Let's basic extrapolation.. 5 hr/wk 52 weeks. 10k roughly. So.. You're making 75k for 40 hr. Meh. The rest is good. Honestly your first 6 mo I can't blame the under pay since you won't bring him the bacon, the first year raise better be good to compensate

I will edit to say it may be worth the under pay for a year if truly a great sp and environment.. Basically the last paragraph you wrote in my opinion has loads of weight, esp for a new grad.

• 2 weeks later...

so just an update...

He wants me to train 2 days a week at half the agreed pay until I get certified through Medicare. He said it takes about a month to get my certification, and that I'll shadow and train under the PA that works there now until I get approval. I was never under the assumption that I would get less pay during training, so I was thrown off guard when he informed me of this. Is this a normal arrangement? I feel like it was a little shady for him to tell me this just a few days before starting, but I'm not sure if I'm just overthinking this either.

so just an update...

He wants me to train 2 days a week at half the agreed pay until I get certified through Medicare. He said it takes about a month to get my certification, and that I'll shadow and train under the PA that works there now until I get approval. I was never under the assumption that I would get less pay during training, so I was thrown off guard when he informed me of this. Is this a normal arrangement? I feel like it was a little shady for him to tell me this just a few days before starting, but I'm not sure if I'm just overthinking this either.

No, this is not normal.  You will see posts here with similar comments and each time it's pointed out that they are taking advantage of you. Do you think someone getting hired at a hospital gets 1/2 pay during orientation?

• 4 months later...

Just wondering - did you ever look into how much tail would cost you if you plan to leave at any point? My practice doesn't offer tail too and I'm not really sure of the significance the cost would be on me if I left after a year in family medicine.

Did you ever end up getting a quote on the cost of a tail policy ? Thanks !

Archived