Pre-PA student future employment questions

Hello all, I'm currently a paramedic (11yrs) and for the last 6 I've actually been a federal agent and working as a tactical medic assigned to our tactical team. We are very different from an average municipal SWAT team in that we work nation wide and routinely operate in far rural/wilderness environments and use insertion techniques such as fast roping, riverine speed boats etc. I say this because this also requires us to operate similar to PAs. We conduct sick call and can order any number of prescription medications (through med control of course) for various minor illnesses; as well as advanced ATLS type procedures depending on where we are. We also encounter more patients than most other tactical medics because of the types of individuals we're arresting.

I've recently started taking the pre-requisite courses for PA school. I've had to take them 100% online because of my work and travel schedule, but my question is:

1. Would potential EM employers consider this "experience" when applying?

2. How often do PAs work nothing but "fast track"? I'm not opposed to fast track, as I've learned that some of the most challenging cases are "minor", but there's just something in my nature that craves the excitement and importance of hemodynamic stabilization.

3. I'd really like to get a clear picture of actual salaries EM PAs are making. I currently make about $110k and have no student debt and a pension. Im very displeased with the federal government and I'm ready to get out of law enforcement but I'm trying to figure out if it would be a financial mistake to take on the loan burden only to make about what I make now. I'd primarily be looking to work in the Dallas area, or within an hour of there. I'd also be willing to do an EM/Trauma residency. Do those have salaries?

Thanks all, love the forum!

Should probably be moved to the pre-pa section.  

WOW!  As a "citizen" (and retired military who took an oath to support and defend the constitution), I find your job description a little scary there....federal SWAT teams that get so much action that you see "more patients than most other tactical medics"....sounds a little Stalinistic.  "Night of the long knives" anyone?!? 

Your experience would certainly help you get into PA school.  If you get through PA school, your experience would certainly help you stand out from the majority of your classmates who will be 24 year old brilliant young women with absolutely no previous real experience.  

PAs in fast track = depends where you work.  Some EDs have us only in fast track, others have us rotate with the docs.  Some are single coverage where we take anything that comes in the doors.

$110K a year is average for EM PAs.  Some more, some less. You won't be able to work during 2.5 years of PA school, so you're gonna lose $275K in salary, plus the cost of PA school.  Even if you find a $150K a year EM PA job (probably top 10% pay scale there) it's gonna take you 6-7 years of practice to pay off the lost wages alone.

Thanks for the reply. Our patient number actually ends up being about 60% team members. Usually some sort of training injury, sick call etc. we do get into a lot of shootings but if you consider that for our team to be called the suspect has to be KNOWN to be armed, violent history and/or presence of physical barricades at the location; our shootings are actually surprisingly low.

I'm not really concerned about the "lost wages" I'm more concerned with being able to make a living while paying off the debt. Good to know too 10% is around 150k. My uncle owns an ortho practice and he pays his top PA 150k.

• 2 weeks later...

If you crave trauma and the hemodynamically unstable, you might want to consider a job in a trauma surgery service.  Often these PA's get more of the advanced procedures such as chest tubes and central lines than do EM PA's.  Many times they respond to trauma alerts in the ED.  As you've already heard, financially you're probably already better off in your current job, especially if you get paid time off and a pension.  Many EM PA's work for companies that don't provide either.

Archived