Hello!

I am a new graduate, and have searched long and hard to find pediatric practices willing to hire PAs. I was recently offered a full-time contract with a reputable local peds private practice. I have zero experience with medical contracts, and I'm terrible at advocating for myself :( I was hoping some of you more experienced PAs could help me with a few points of concern with my contract.

1. The starting salary is $75k + bonuses. The bonus structure is not included in the contract, and my supervising doc was unable to give me a concrete formula for how bonuses are determined.

2. It includes a non-compete clause of 12 miles and 2 years. My understanding is most PAs will not sign a non-compete, and those who do have much less stringent limitations?

In addition, I really don't understand how tail coverage works. Do most practices cover you through the "end" of when a pt can sue you? If I stop working for them, am I no longer covered for any of the patients I ever saw while at that practice? Can I afford my own malpractice tail coverage on a PA salary?

There are a few more specific concerns that I need to discuss directly with the MD. These are my big concerns, though.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

It sounds like you want to work Peds. I get it. As you indicate you don't have the skills to advocate for yourself - please hire someone who does. Google "healthcare employment attorneys" with your city, state. However, many such attorneys work nationwide (& have collegial relationships w attorneys in other states).

It would be helpful to find an attorney who has worked with PA contracts. S/he will know what to look for.

It may cost you ~$250 - 1k depending on geographical area, if you have them negotiate for you or just highlight "red flags", etc.

Please don't feel pressured. Do not sign anything you do not clearly understand.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The salary seems pretty low to me.  I'm a new grad in pediatric surgery making just north of 100K as a base.  I do realize surgery can be a different pay scale when comparing to primary care (but 25K seems to be a big discrepancy), and the geographic area I live in is more generous than some of the rest of the country.  Don't sell yourself short.  A huge red flag I see is the inability to give you a definite path to attaining the bonus, otherwise it is just a carrot for them to dangle in front of you just out of reach.  

Although many of us talk about the "trifecta" of the perfect job (i.e. pay, location, specialty) and how oftentimes you only get 2/3...the pay alone in this situation would make this offer untenable to me.  Please for the good of the rest of the field don't take such a low salary, you're worth more.  Hell, your student loans are worth more...

Archived