PANCE studying

When you guys do packrat, do you complete the whole test first and then go over answers? Or do you go over the answer immediately after each question? The first method seems to be taking a while since I have to review the question again but Im also trying to time myself with the questions.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. I assume you are studying old packrats? I personally would complete the whole test before reviewing any of the answers. That gives you the best idea of how well you are doing on time - also, if you are checking each question right after you finish it, you may end up giving yourself hints or answers to the questions you haven't seen yet. I think the best way to study is to make it as similar to the actual test as you can.

If you have a bunch of practice exams, I would recommend taking one under exam conditions and reviewing your answers and score. If you didn't do well, its clear you need to study more/ become aware of what they are looking for in each question. At that point, I would go through a few tests question by question- guessing then checking the answer... But take as many under test conditions as possible! Happy Studying!!-- Free practice quizzes here: http://bit.ly/1L8c8TL

what I did is I printed all the pacrats (form 8-16) and put them on  3 binders, the office staff is kind enough to let me print them. then I would answers them in a TIMED pace covering the answer using an index card without looking at the answers I know its tempting sometimes lol but I try not to look at the answers until the end of the exam.

At first it took me a while to answer them but in the end, I got proficient enough to answer 225 questions in about an hour and a half, thats part of the training, figuring out what the test writers is asking and answering them as fast as you can in less than 60 seconds for each questions.

I would then review the answers I got wrong or the ones that I guessed even when  I got it right by guessing. The ones I got right I dont bother reviewing, I'm the type of person that if I knew the answer then I knew it and if I dont then I review them.

for me the pacrat form 11 (2006) was the hardest followed by form 14 (2009) and form 16 (2011)

I printed them out and used the index trick too. It's nice to highlight and write notes on the hardcopy. It's also easy to review last minute, if u don't wanna stare at your computer notes.

I started off reviewing every explanation, even those I got right. But after 1-2 weeks, I began focusing on stuff I got wrong/was unfamiliar with. I just took Packrats 11, 13 and 10 but got the same score on all of them. They seemed like similar questions so I stopped and started doing Kaplan Qbank. I found that PANCE was a mix of simple (like packrat/ncppa book) and long questions (like Kaplan) so I was happy to have studied both.

"A Comprehensive Review for the Certification and Recertification" by I think by Claire Babcock O'Conell was also a very good practice questions, the pre-test was fairly easy but the post-test was hard

Yes that's the green/blue book, right? It was very helpful for the PANCE. I read through all the explanations for both the correct and wrong choices.

Yes that's the green/blue book, right? It was very helpful for the PANCE. I read through all the explanations for both the correct and wrong choices. A lot of the content was on the actual exam.

yes thats the book, and as far as the content being on the actual exam....lets just say I would not disagree with you lol, I did not want to mentioned it because of fear that I might get in trouble but you are right.

How much outside of the review books did everyone study for the PANCE? I'm currently in didactic and I bought Pance Prep Pearls and the Comprehensive book mentioned above. I also pre-ordered Lange 7th edition.

I'm concerned because my teacher in Gen Med mentions things that are not mentioned anywhere in the review books, like going way in-depth on topics. I know PANCE is more comprehensive but I just wanted to get a feel for it you need all of the outside information you're learning in didactic or if you studied just based off review books and something extra?

Any input?!?! I want to start studying now to keep everything fresh but I just need some guidance on the best approach!

Thank you!! :)

How much outside of the review books did everyone study for the PANCE? I'm currently in didactic and I bought Pance Prep Pearls and the Comprehensive book mentioned above. I also pre-ordered Lange 7th edition.

I'm concerned because my teacher in Gen Med mentions things that are not mentioned anywhere in the review books, like going way in-depth on topics. I know PANCE is more comprehensive but I just wanted to get a feel for it you need all of the outside information you're learning in didactic or if you studied just based off review books and something extra?

Any input?!?! I want to start studying now to keep everything fresh but I just need some guidance on the best approach!

Thank you!! :)

Here's the NCCPA blueprint of conditions on the boards. Hopefully this may narrow your focus...slightly.

http://www.nccpa.net/ExamsContentBPOrgans

Thank you Deanj59, that is really helpful! 

What is the level of knowledge most people study for those conditions listed? I saw blepharitis, which we discussed in gen med. We discussed anterior vs posterior blepharitis, etiology, symptoms, treatment, short and long-term meds, complications etc.

Is that what I should be doing for everything listed?

Thanks guys. I am getting through school fine. But my concern, which maybe didn't come across the right way, is that some material is out of left field and no where to be seen in a PANCE book. So yes, for my grades and getting A's on my exams, I study to pass my exams with the material my professor gives me. 

But I would like to pass the PANCE as well :) 2 of our professors just recently took the PANRE within this past month so they do point out "this was one of my questions" for material, but I'm a sponge so I'll take any advice I can get! :)

Pance books are meant to be a review. No review resource will have everything that you need to know for medicine or for Pance. Studying for and doing well on your exams in didactic is likely a good indicator, if you go to a solid program, that you will be fine for boards. I wouldnt study at all for boards year one. After you take packrat at the end of your didactic (assuming your program does that), you'll have a greater understanding of your strengths and weaknesses and what to focus on during clinical year to prepare for boards

Does anyone know how the following Q banks and exam scores translate to actual PANCE Performance? Meaning, what percentages translate for each one to passing the PANCE? Which one prepares you the best for current exam passing standards?

CME resources

Davis’s PA Exam Review

ExamMaster

KAPLAN

HELPzebra

LANGE

Med-Challenger PA

PA Easy

PanceMaster

Does anyone know how the following Q banks and exam scores translate to actual PANCE Performance? Meaning, what percentages translate for each one to passing the PANCE? Which one prepares you the best for current exam passing standards?

CME resources

Davis’s PA Exam Review

ExamMaster

KAPLAN

HELPzebra

LANGE

Med-Challenger PA

PA Easy

PanceMaster

I used the NCPPA book and Kaplan 2 months before PANCE. I did use Lange and the NCPPA book during rotations for my EOR exams.

NCPPA book helped me the most. Lange and Kaplan are tougher but may make the PANCE feel easier.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived