Good textbooks/references for GI

• 1 month later...

For nuts and bolts stuff, there is a GI version of the 5 Minute Clinical Consult; Handbook of Gastroenterology (Yamada et al) is another useful book; it's a "Reader's Digest" version of a much larger text.

Schiff's Diseases of the Liver is a great hepatology referance.

I have access to UpToDate, and easily use that the most.

Good Luck!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been in GI for the entirety of my PA career (8+yrs) and would agree, those are my top three resources.

I would add as a comprehensive text (if you can get a pharma rep to pay for it) Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastroenterology and Liver Disease. Definitely a desktop reference, not easily pocketed!

With the quick pace of changing therapies however, I found CME conferences effective for catching up to the practical GI standard of care. Johns Hopkins and Mayo usually do great meetings led by faculty (and MUCH cheaper than the AGA mtg), and most transplant centers will host local liver meetings annually.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Self Healing - Colitis & Chron's is a book written by Ph.D David Klein, a sufferer of Colitis himself who was able to overcome this disease. It's a fabulous read that covers the complete wholistic guide to healing the gut and maintaining sufficient health.

Self Healing - Colitis & Chron's is a book written by Ph.D David Klein, a sufferer of Colitis himself who was able to overcome this disease. It's a fabulous read that covers the complete wholistic guide to healing the gut and maintaining sufficient health.

i'm sorry...but this guy seems like a complete fraud. the guy guarantees a 100% success rate. yea right. he says that all medicines do harm. also says that bacteria doesn't cause disease. reading his website is like reading some new age voodoo medicine.

seems like a lot of people with IBD have negative experiences with him and the book:

http://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=38&m=1835679

i'm sure diet can do a lot, but it is no panacea.

i'm sorry...but this guy seems like a complete fraud. the guy guarantees a 100% success rate. yea right. he says that all medicines do harm. also says that bacteria doesn't cause disease. reading his website is like reading some new age voodoo medicine.

seems like a lot of people with IBD have negative experiences with him and the book:

Please be more open minded when it comes to holistic medicine...here in the west we still scoff at acupuncture and it's been used for centuries in the eastern world...with excellent results...

Please be more open minded when it comes to holistic medicine...here in the west we still scoff at acupuncture and it's been used for centuries in the eastern world...with excellent results...

i know you don't know me, but i am a firm supporter of holistic and oriental medicine (i am asian by the way). some of my best friends are acupuncturists...and for fear of revealing my identity, the founder of the American College of Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine is a close family friend.

however, if you go directly to david klein's website, he basically shuns and belittles conventional medicine. he goes on to present his diet as a panacea for almost all GI issues. irresponsible at best, and at worst dangerous.

check out this quote here:

Medicines are foreign and unnatural to human physiology and have no healing intelligence. Medicines are always toxic to the body and enervating. Their prolonged use leads to worsened physical and mental health. The body always senses medicines as harmful poisons. If the body has sufficient nerve energy it will attempt to break down, neutralize and eliminate medicines. In directing its energies to neutralize and eliminate medicines, disease symptoms may subside or shift to another part of the body.

i'm all for holistic healing, but all types of care should be complementary. just as much as it annoys me when people who practice allopathic medicine belittle alternative medicine, it annoys me too when these holistic healers dismiss everything that medicine has to offer.

i know you don't know me, but i am a firm supporter of holistic and oriental medicine (i am asian by the way). some of my best friends are acupuncturists...and for fear of revealing my identity, the founder of the American College of Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine is a close family friend.

however, if you go directly to david klein's website, he basically shuns and belittles conventional medicine. he goes on to present his diet as a panacea for almost all GI issues. irresponsible at best, and at worst dangerous.

Medicines are foreign and unnatural to human physiology and have no healing intelligence. Medicines are always toxic to the body and enervating. Their prolonged use leads to worsened physical and mental health. The body always senses medicines as harmful poisons. If the body has sufficient nerve energy it will attempt to break down, neutralize and eliminate medicines. In directing its energies to neutralize and eliminate medicines, disease symptoms may subside or shift to another part of the body.

i'm all for holistic healing, but all types of care should be complementary. just as much as it annoys me when people who practice allopathic medicine belittle alternative medicine, it annoys me too when these holistic healers dismiss everything that medicine has to offer.

• 6 months later...
For nuts and bolts stuff, there is a GI version of the 5 Minute Clinical Consult; Handbook of Gastroenterology (Yamada et al) is another useful book; it's a "Reader's Digest" version of a much larger text.

Schiff's Diseases of the Liver is a great hepatology referance.

I have access to UpToDate, and easily use that the most.

Good Luck!

I have recently began working as a newgrad GI PA. I have bought the Handbook of Gastroenterology by Yamada. I like the topics and the approach of this reference book, but I do not enjoy reading all this information in a paragraph form while on the floor with limited time. I have previously bought the Massachusetts Pocket Medicine, which manages to summarize and congest much more info with bullets and charts. I am planning to buy a comprehensive GI textbook for home reading, but can you please recommend any other pocket sized reference book that resembles the Massachusetts model? thank you

Archived