What days are interviews usually scheduled?

I'm trying to get my class and work schedule set so I can work it around interviews. How do the interviews work in regards to scheduling? Have you found that most of them fall on certain days? Do they ever fall on weekends? How far in advance do they usually give you?

Any tips for this would be really appreciated. I'm thinking maybe I'll keep Mondays free from class and work so I can fly in on a Sunday and return Monday evening. Would that be enough? Are interviews usually all day long (like 9-5 or something?)

With all this planning that I'm trying to do, wouldn't it be ironic if I didn't even get any interviews? Or not until spring semester? :P

Edit: I have no idea why this is tagged as online microbiology une. If I did do that, it was a mistake.

When I interviewed, it was always on a weekday. It's pretty random too. You should get a few weeks notice before an interview, though. 

In my experience, labs are usually the biggest pain because they often cannot be missed, so definitely plan ahead and work on how to mitigate this as best as you can. Really, your best bet is to just talk to your professors ahead of time and stay in their good graces so they can be flexible when the time comes. 

I'm taking a class this semester. The first class she stated that we could not miss any exam days or labs. She seemed pretty strict.

I went to her after that class and explained to her my situation and that these interview notices are tentative and that most would be out of state. She was really receptive and told me that she would work with me and not to worry about it.

So I guess it really depends on the professor. Talk to them ahead of time and explain to them the situation.

I'm someone who NEVER misses class, but I wouldn't hesitate to skip a class for an interview. The instructor will understand. If not, he/she's got some problems and you should talk to the dean or whoever is in charge of his/her department. You really can't plan when your interviews are going to be this far ahead. Most schools will give you many options to choose from. Most of my interviews took up my morning and afternoon. They like to show your around their facilities, introduce their faculty, have you talk to the students and ask questions, give you some history of their program, etc... Most will also have multiple little interviews, and you have 20 some other applicants there with you as well. Good luck!

Do what you have to, to get to an interview.  I'm taking off of work for an entire week to attend two, the middle of Sep.  The paid time off I'm using is precious, as when it is time to move from here for PA school (hoping!!) I am planning on selling back my accumulated leave to help with moving costs.

Get to your interviews!  If you're professors/employer gives you a hard time, well they'll just have to eat it.

Archived