Withdrawal from PA Program

Hello, Everyone,

I recently had to withdrawal from the PA Program I was in. I was in my clinical year and doing really well on my rotations but some family issues came up and I wasn't able to even take a leave of absence. I was mostly an A student during didactic year and all of my preceptors were more than pleased with my performance. I was wondering if there are any programs out there where you can transfer credits that were already earned....I'm looking for a way to pick up where I had to leave sort of speak and not start from square one. I've been calling every program I can get ahold of but it is not looking good. It's very disheartening because I know I would be a great Physician Assistant and I am determined to become one... I would rather just  not have to accumulate any more debt than need be.

Your best bet is probably to contact programs that are local to your family (assuming you had to move or be at home for your family issues). I have seen on occasion where this has happened and the program that the student withdrew from helped to facilitate the transition to a new program to start up where they left off in clinical year for extenuating circumstances. This involved the former program reaching out to the program that the student is trying to transition to (usually program director to program director). See if the program that you withdrew from is willing to help facilitate. (I can't imagine why a program wouldn't grant a leave of absence if there was a true family emergency. Might be worth looking in the student handbook or graduate student policies regarding similar situations. Most schools I know of have a policy for granting leaves of absence in those situations). 

Did I miss something? You haven't indicated why you aren't reapplying to your old program. Why would you want to go elsewhere. I agree with Mark and the Rev though the scenario Mark discussed would require a lot of help from your old program director. Schools, in general (not speaking about PA schools specifically) don't like to graduate students that haven't gone through their own program. Even if you couldn't travel back to your school, for some reason, I would think they might consider letting you do some or all of your remaining rotations where you are now living. Have you checked into that?

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

Honestly, this does sound odd. Not to intrude on your business, but we could be of much more help if you completed the story. If you were forced out, meaning told to withdraw or be failed, then know this isn't an uncommon occurrence. I've seen it happen to many a good student who were excellent but somehow got painted into a corner, either through personal mistake (I.e. Not clinical) or malicious behavior of others.

Pm if you need.

The reason why I left is that there were financial situations at home that I had to help out with (i.e. medical expenses that my family could not cover so I had to get a job for a while). I was not forced out or told to withdraw so I do not have any academic or professional mark against me. I know that I can go back to my old program however I would have to start with didactic year all over again as per the policy of the program. What I tried asking (but wasn't very good at apparently ha) is if there are programs that accept students who already have didactic year (and a few rotations) under their belt and could continue where they left off. As I stated before I would like to avoid burying myself in even more debt and not having to re-apply the good ol' fashion way. I know this is a long shot but I wasn't sure if there were some programs out there that have been known to do this. I was in contact with Baylor College this afternoon and they seem to have an advanced placement policy however, this was one out of about 25 programs that I called today.

Thank you for the advice about asking the PD to help out. I called her this afternoon as well and she said that she will make some calls.

Your school policy is unfortunate, to say the least, unless you were out for an extended period. The fellow I know had to leave for what sounds like similar reasons but was allowed to return one year later to finish his didactic year. So I gather that, at this point, you can find a school that will help you out or start over. I hope you are successful getting some help, but I have no pearls of wisdom here.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

Honestly, this does sound odd. Not to intrude on your business, but we could be of much more help if you completed the story. If you were forced out, meaning told to withdraw or be failed, then know this isn't an uncommon occurrence. I've seen it happen to many a good student who were excellent but somehow got painted into a corner, either through personal mistake (I.e. Not clinical) or malicious behavior of others.

I must admit, it feels like we don't know everything. So, until you are honest with us or yourself there is not a whole lot of advice we can give you.  Like what LTJG wrote already PM if you want, otherwise good luck. 

Archived