required GPA not reflecting true considered GPA from schools

Hi all,

I find it very confusing that many schools list minimum GPA requirements as low as 2.75 or 3.0 however now schools will not even consider you if you do not have at least a 3.4!

Yes, I understand that it is more competitive now, however if the schools will not even look at an application that meets the requirements, they should really update their websites so that students understand what the school wants.

Can you guys list the schools with these "real" GPA requirements? (e.g. I know Western now will only consider students with 3.4 or higher).

You have to go by what the website says - just because you think schools are setting higher standards doesn't mean they are.  It also could change every year depending on the number of applications each school gets.

Just because someone meets the minimum of 3.0 listed but gets an auto reject doesn't necessarily mean it is only due to GPA.  Unless adcom specifically states a rejection is due to a GPA (and even then) there is really no proof that they are raising their GPA standards compared to listed minimums.

With many schools getting upwards of 1000 apps, there HAS to be some sort of front line sorting system and numbers are the easiest way to do it.  Doesn't mean it's worthless to apply because the only hard and fast standard is what they list a minimum.  It's a minimum for a reason, but that doesn't guarantee your app will be considered.  Someone who meets only the bare minimum on all accounts surely won't have the same chance as someone who has gone above and beyond in GPA, HCE, LORs, etc.

Agree with above. However, if (in a very rare case) you were to apply to a school with a stated 2.75 GPA, then received word that you were not considered and were automatically rejected because your GPA wasn't, say a 3.4, then that needs to be reported to ARC-PA. Haven't heard of that, but if it were to happen, it would be an issue.

In my discussions with admissions staff, they often keep their GPA standards low to allow for flexibility, should they want it. It's a frustrating fact of life when applying to any sort of graduate program. It allows them to consider a student who may look good in other areas but might not have the highest GPA. 

In today's environment, I think the healthy attitude is to expect the minimums to be just that. The goal should be to be above that point to increase the chances of success in what is a very competitive environment. 

I agree with responders to the OP ... based on recent personal experience. 

In applying in the the last couple of years, programs that auto reject based on GPA did so based on their posted minimum.  Once I met their minimums (and I will say quite candidly that I only just met them with respect to GPA!), I was considered, and I did receive numerous interview invitations ... presumably based on the other important, and more exceptional, attributes of my application (HCE, life experience, essay, GRE, etc.).  As has been pointed out in other threads and discussions, it's not all about GPA (though many people seem to forget that) - though that's very much a screening factor.  

Rather than focus on posted minimums (certainly know whether you'll be automatically rejected and don't waste your money), the other thing that anyone considering a particular program should do is to review the statistics from recently admitted cohorts ... with an eye for RANGES, not averages (or posted minimums).  A program admitting students with a GPA clustered around some number with little range or variation probably isn't looking broadly at applications that just meet their minimum; a program with a range of average accepted applicant GPA values (as well as other objectively measured numbers like HCE hours) is clearly looking more broadly at their applicants.  

What you are describing are sort-of mutually exclusive observations.  I say sort of because those who have matriculated are still meeting the required minimum standard.

This is nature of a selective candidate pool:  a school could set a GPA standard, but regardless of what that standard is, once the applicant pool becomes large enough the nature of competition necessarily means that students will be applying with higher and higher scores.  This is illustrated in average accepted GPAs seen recently in DO schools which is on the rise and steadily negating the axiom that DO schools are easier to get into.  Once the applicant pool selection is broad enough and large enough, the school then has the luxury of selecting the best candidates for matriculation, which is why you will commonly hear "don't just do the bare minimum", because the average accepted candidate has done far beyond that despite the minimum standards.

If a school has a required GPA standard which is set far below the average accept scores, then this means one or both of two things:

1) The school is demonstrating that they are willing to consider lower-than-average-scores despite what the average accepted scores may be

and/or

2) The GPA standard may be an administrative requirement levied by an upper level office.

From what source did you get the info about Western?

What you are asking for is labor intensive.  The information you seek is (probably) on your prospective school's admissions page; just look for the stats of the last matriculated class.  Those are the numbers you need to aim for.

Archived