EM CAQ

Anyone done this? Our ER director is asking us to consider getting the certification for an incentive. I of course want to know what the incentive is before signing up and dedicating all of the hours but still I like the idea. I found one program to help you prepare but I am looking to talk to someone who have actually gone through it. Anyone?

I have, as well as a few others on the forum.  It did nothing for me practically-speaking, but I know others on the forum (EMEDPA) has seen tangible benefit from it in the form of increased scope of practice.  I didn't use a specific CAQ-review course; instead, as my wife is an ER doctor I just used her board-review stuff to study

SEMPA has a cme course for the CAQ at their conference. I took it when first offered in 2011. it didn't get me more money, but better procedural credentialing at one of my per diem jobs. I didn't study for it. I figured if after 25 years working in em I can't pass it then something is wrong with the test. I did fine. missed 14 out of 150.

• 11 months later...

Ok. I'm taking the test this September. Any and all advice appreciated. I only have six years er experience so I want to supplement that with stuff. I've got tintinallis and then the Robert and hedges procedure book. I've also considered paying the $200 to take one of those er board preparation online courses that doubles as the "self assessment" CME that nccpa is now requiring. Idk. I think I will be fine but any words of encouragement appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Took it today. Yeah. Idk. More trauma than I expected (maybe five on PTX alone) and more "pick the best out of these poor choices" style. I looked answers up after I left and really. I just don't know. Some of the questions were so out there. All of the days and hours I spent studying it maybe helped me on 20 of the questions. Fairly frustrated.

• 2 months later...

I guess I'm a gluten for punishment but I'd love to just sit and take the exam for the heck of it.  I haven't been in the ED for about eleven years and I'd like to see what i remember.  Haven't had ATLS in forever and haven't taken difficult airway but have had ACLS/PALS more recently.  Seems to me that I remember the end result pretty much being the same in each of the **LS scenarios.

Addendum:  If one were to pass a CAQ then I think that should meet your 2 year NCCPA CME requirement for that period.

Just got the certificate in the mail. Any idea how/if we can see our actual scores? Not that it really matters but just curious.

Just saw your post so checked nccpa website and I passed as well. It didn't have a score on it either. Just some topics I didn't score well in.

Sweet! Relieved the 2.5 months of waiting are over!!!

• 1 year later...
On 1/21/2018 at 8:57 AM, Annika said:

what prep course was the poster talking about? 6 years in too, and there is an incentive at my employer to take it- so take it I will....  Did you type up your own MD to attest to procedures form? 

sempa has a course at their conference most years. honestly, after 6 yrs if you have the required acls/atls/pals/difficult airway you should just be able to sit for it and pass. when I took it you could print the attestation form, have a doc sign it, then send it or fax it in to nccpa. still glad I took this 7 years in as I continue to see benefits from it; more money, better job, higher privileges( equivalent to em md at my current job as they count it as "certified in emergency medicine").

No benefit in me taking it yet where I practice, and I don't see any benefit coming in the near-moderate future (many EDs here staffed by NPs who don't know what Brugada's is, let alone what it looks like).

My sincere hope is that by the time I have to renew again we will have the opportunity to recertify in our specialty instead of the general medicine PANRE.  If that happens then I will get my EM CAQ.

• 2 weeks later...

The practice that  am moving into has a big bump in pay (close to 20% increase but they start lower than most). Hence my desire to take it. I am hoping it is okay. I will not have ATLS in the very near future- trying to find a place to take it is the biggest ordeal. V-bilt has a course but it is filled. 

Had the EM CAQ since 2013.

Work for a PA owned group, so having as many of us as possible in this status is just good practice and PR.

As for incentive, if no one is providing specifics to you, then you have an opportunity to develop your own incentive.

Outline a proposal.

Suggestions:

10-25% bump in pay when awarded.

Group/facility pays for exam and registration.

$1500 in professional development funds in excess of usual to support preparation.

8 reimbursed hours a month x 6 months to prepare.

They can only say no.

Good luck

George

Archived