Residency interview questions??

If you were interviewing for a residency/fellowship and were given the opportunity to ask questions to your interviewers about the fellowship, what would you ask? What would you want to know? Sure, this could be very individual to the person or the program, but generally speaking, what would you ask? I have a few in mind, but am wondering what others might ask. Thanks!

• Administrator

Thinking about this holistically, there are only three job interview questions--everything else is a variation on one of these three:

* Can you do this job?

* Can we get along?

* Are you going to stick around?

What would the corresponding questions be for an applicant speaking to a residency program?  Maybe these:

* Am I going to learn enough to make up for the income I lose doing this?

* Can I handle the amount of work that will be expected of me?

* Do you have a track record of proving that former residents would give me the same favorable answer for the above two questions?

Thanks for the ideas fellas. 

Rev- the second group of questions are mostly what I was already thinking so that's good. Speaking/emailing a former resident is a huge help prior to interviewing. It gives an idea of wether you even want to accept an interview somewhere. 

Mike- I like that thinking! Hadn't really thought about the time aspect of the didactics for some reason. This residency is in conjunction with a physician residency so there is structured didactics. I'll be sure to look into this more. 

TA- the competition for patients and procedures was already on my mind. Hadn't really thought about being treated as "separate." There is interaction with physician residents in this fellowship so the competition would be something worth looking into. Thanks!

Archived